• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can the company i contract for cut my contract short because i wouldnt go full time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    You would probably have to close it down & put on inactive list plus either pay an accountant to fill the monthly HMRC returns or DIY. Accountants charge around £50-70 per month + VAT to do this admin for you. The perm role would most definitely require details of any Directorships held & also most likely ask you to resign & shut the company down. That depends on how thorough their compliance process is though but its deep hot water if you do not declare & they find out later...…..
    I was advised that dormancy was fine in case the role/fit didn't work out as we were both hoping. I explained that the company would be closed down at the end of its next financial year if all went well and they were fine with that. Unsurprisingly they were far keener on me ceasing trading than the actual status of the limited company.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thats a bit off of the client if they failed to mention they were looking for someone contract-perm. Its as if they've treated the 1st month as extended interview.

I've been to interviews where client has owned up they really want a permie and then avoided. I've been for interviews where they said they might get a permie and I've gone for it.

If it was me, get out of there assuming you don't want the permie job.

Its amazing though how many clients will assume you really want a perm role and dont understand when you say no.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        I was advised that dormancy was fine in case the role/fit didn't work out as we were both hoping. I explained that the company would be closed down at the end of its next financial year if all went well and they were fine with that. Unsurprisingly they were far keener on me ceasing trading than the actual status of the limited company.
        Luck of the draw many have well developed Compliance procedures. Some ask what is Compliance LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Thats a bit off of the client if they failed to mention they were looking for someone contract-perm. Its as if they've treated the 1st month as extended interview.

I've been to interviews where client has owned up they really want a permie and then avoided. I've been for interviews where they said they might get a permie and I've gone for it.

If it was me, get out of there assuming you don't want the permie job.

Its amazing though how many clients will assume you really want a perm role and dont understand when you say no.
          Correct. The simple part is explaining to them that it's nothing personal and that you're a contractor with broader plans about enlarging your offering long term (fnar fnar).
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            The reason he shouldn't take it is he is a contractor. The permie pay is going to be much less and even on probation period the notice period will be putting blockers in the way. Even with a week or 2 weeks he could be doing himself out of immediate start gigs.
            Most contracts will usually wait for at least 1 week for you to start. Hell, even most of the ones that insist you start "tomorrow" will probably have you sitting around twiddling your thumbs for a week or two whilst they sort out a desk/chair/laptop/security-pass etc.

As for the permie pay being much less. Well, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
              Most contracts will usually wait for at least 1 week for you to start. Hell, even most of the ones that insist you start "tomorrow" will probably have you sitting around twiddling your thumbs for a week or two whilst they sort out a desk/chair/laptop/security-pass etc.
              Quite possibly but the last 4 or 5 gigs I've had I've started on the first Monday after the interview but yes it does happen. He's a lot likely to get as far as having to wait to start if he's got a notice period. Plenty of guys on the bench willing to sign there and then offering immediate start even if it doesn't turn out like that.
              As for the permie pay being much less. Well, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing!
              Not if he then can't get out of 50% to get the 100% for a reasonable period. Might not pay off in the long run.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Quite possibly but the last 4 or 5 gigs I've had I've started on the first Monday after the interview but yes it does happen. He's a lot likely to get as far as having to wait to start if he's got a notice period. Plenty of guys on the bench willing to sign there and then offering immediate start even if it doesn't turn out like that.

Not if he then can't get out of 50% to get the 100% for a reasonable period. Might not pay off in the long run.
                I think we both make fair points. If there's the potential for another good, well paying, contracting gig in the very near future, taking the permie role is a bad move. Of course, if another good contracting gig is only going to present itself after 3 months on the bench (and will wait for him for the 1 week's notice he has to give), then taking the permie role is a good move to continue to earn money in the interim.

It's all a balancing act and attempting to be able to predict what's going to happen in the near and mid term future. Of course, if any of us could do that, I think we'd all give up contracting tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  I think we both make fair points. If there's the potential for another good, well paying, contracting gig in the very near future, taking the permie role is a bad move. Of course, if another good contracting gig is only going to present itself after 3 months on the bench (and will wait for him for the 1 week's notice he has to give), then taking the permie role is a good move to continue to earn money in the interim.

It's all a balancing act and attempting to be able to predict what's going to happen in the near and mid term future. Of course, if any of us could do that, I think we'd all give up contracting tomorrow!
                  Yup agreed.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In my experience, banks tend to be four weeks, everywhere else asap and they take the hit on the screening risk and do it in parallel to any advanced screening; if you've proved identity, company details, VAT registration, insurance, etc, then they're generally fine with getting you on site asap.

Comment

Chinesejohn is saying don't go perm as well. He's just used perm instead contractor. I think we are all on the same page here?
                      Opps sorry yes I should have proof read my reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X