• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Single Parent Not Compatible To Business Needs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Parent Not Compatible To Business Needs

I run a ltd company and yesterday my contract got terminated for my personal reasons. Not by myself I hasten to add. Following an exemplorary one to one just days before, my supervisor felt that my newly acquired status as a single mum would not be compatible to the job role. Is this even legal?

As a contractor you don't have rights like you do with employment. They can bin you off on the spot with no reason. It's there in your contract.
    That said, the fact they can do that means they didn't need to mention the single mum bit so really stupid of them.
    I guess as a new mum you need more flexibility or time off that the client is willing to accommodate. They just want to pay top dollar for a full time resource to work their nuts off. If that's not you then you are done.

Your post does show quite a level of misunderstanding about what you are and what should and shouldn't be doing. You shouldn't have 1 to 1s as a contractor and you most certainly shouldn't have a supervisor. Both would be highly damaging to an IR35 investigation but I'm guessing your not quite up on that.
    Understanding what you and what your relationship to your client may have helped you answer your own question.

Sorry.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lanny View Post
      I run a ltd company and yesterday my contract got terminated for my personal reasons. Not by myself I hasten to add. Following an exemplorary one to one just days before, my supervisor felt that my newly acquired status as a single mum would not be compatible to the job role. Is this even legal?
      Would your single mum status interfere with your day to day duties? If not then I would suggest that you do not disclose these "personal reasons" in future.

Comment

I quite agree. I am a nurse by profession and a contractor by misfortune. The entire department is in disarray. It is unfortunate I have no come back as much of my client feedback was so positive. So many grey areas that other contractors have also been subjected to bullying and dismissed when it suits the supervisor. Quite often when the supervisor wishes to employ her friends. Very prestigious company so am quite shocked this is going on .

Comment

How are you not classed inside IR35?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am an occupational health nurse that has been invited to a corporate world of commerce and finance. Nurses are generally open and honest and I admit this world of contracting is new to myself and many other nurses. Consequently we are being forced into contracts for the ease of the clients concerned without enough back ground preparation. I guess I am niave when I was being guided by a global company. I only wanted to provide exemplary health care and support.

In addition the said supervisor sounded rather inebriated the evening she told me her plans. All very perplexing.

I think you guys are so up to speed with IR35 that us nurses look dopey.
            We have many other strengths.
            Any help received with gratitude

Comment

In 20 years on contracting I’ve never discussed my personal life at a clients site - can I ask why you felt it necessary to share this info with your client ?

Comment

This does not sound to me like standard contracting. More like a company that provides resources to clients, treats those resources like employees in every way except actually employing them.

One approach might be to start legal action on the grounds that you are actually their employee. Of course it all depends on the actual details of how it's set up.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

HOP, you really need proper advice. I would start with Gingerbread.

Having said that, my non expert hunch is that if you are outside IR35 you are stuck. If you are inside IR35 you may be in with a chance. If you have been deemed inside IR35 by a public sector client you may have more of a chance.

1. Are you under contract to deliver service personally. Seehttps://www.crunch.co.uk/knowledge/employment/limited-company-contactors-protected-equality-act-2010/ . if the answer is yes then you need to demonstrate discrimination. Do the treat single dads in the same way.

2. If you have been in contract for 12 weeks or more you may have some protection under the AWR. Get some advice!
                  Last edited by Old Greg; 26 July 2018, 07:02.

Comment

This is a major global automotive company. Predominantly male staff. I feel I have been used as an employee and disposed of as a contractor. I guess I should put this down to naivety and move on.

Comment

Working...
                    X