• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not allowed to give notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Contract to perm gigs... .. Yuk.
    Indeed! Done one once and walked away, never again! It's either contract or not. It also puts the contract part straight into IR35 territory.
    Back to business!

Comment

Originally posted by Nammy View Post
      Hi, I started a Contract via a consultancy last month, however I've noticed in my contract that there doesn't seem to the ability for me to provide notice before the contract end date. The consultancy also pays a month in arrears, and I've heard through a colleague that they will try to retain some of my wages if I try to leave before the contract end date. Does anyone have experience of a similar situation, or know the legality of this?

Many thanks

Nammy
      No need to terminate the contract. Advise them that you are on holiday for the rest of the duration of the contract. If they protest, send a sub. If they still protest, advise them that your doctor has advised you to stop washing. Then stop washing.

Comment

First things I look for when I check my contract is 1) Notice Period 2) Rate 3) Hours of work 4) Payment Terms. Doesn't take long to check these, it's all the other waffle that is a bind.

Not sure of legalities but you can get out of any contract, as others have said get a substitute if you can't see it out and then everyone is happy.

Comment

OP - not being funny but noticing theres no notice clause after you've started is a bit silly? Didn't you read it first?

Not unusual though - I've had it. BUT, you read the contract BEFORE you sign, try and negotiate stuff you really don't like, if its still there then you decide whether to go ahead or not based on this.

I had a gig for a few years on this basis i.e. I took it knowing there was no notice period.

Only problem I had was my Dad was ill and this contract was a fair step away from home. Out of the blue a local one came up.

The people onsite at the client were good as gold - contact was likely not going to be renewed in two months so they were ok about it and we negotiated me leaving early. Until someone at head office got involved and basically made it awkward. At this point, I couldnt say tough Im giving notice.

New gig fell through in the end (long story) but they did make it awkward. It got to the point where I nearly had to just say "tough, sue me, I wont be in".
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

[Suity]Leave a steaming turd on the hiring mangers desk[/suity]

[MF]Punch the agent in the face[/quote]

[PC]Go off sick[/PC]

[MJR7987]Get a sick note 6 months ago for something might happen somewhere in the future[/quote]

There you go. Loads of options.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

[Suity]Leave a steaming turd on the hiring mangers desk[/suity]

[MF]Punch the agent in the face
              [PC]Go off sick and then claim JSA[/PC]

[MJR7987]Get a sick note 6 months ago for something might happen somewhere in the future[/quote]

There you go. Loads of options.[/QUOTE]

FTFY

BUT I've never done that i.e. gone on the sick to bail from a gig. I just might have thought about it once!

Comment

FTFY

BUT I've never done that i.e. gone on the sick to bail from a gig. I just might have thought about it once!
                Not really. Generally you want to leave a gig early to start another so JSA doesn't come in to it.

You fill in the forms and leave the JSA jokes to us.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cost to find a replacement
                  Loss of billing while they find a replacement
                  Any penalties they incur from their client should the work be delayed because of your departure
                  Costs to on board new starter

Cant think what else.

But pulling your chain aside you should still be able to get out through negotiation. If you give them reasonable notice and it's in a lull they'll be pissed off but doubt they will sue you.
                  Best way is to send in a sub if you have that ability in your contract (you do have the ability to do that in your contract don't you?) - Mind you, 99.9% of all contractor substitution clauses are a sham anyway since they almost always require the client to approve of the sub first.

Failing that, OP can "get out" by not getting out. By that I mean that, just as a client can tell you on a given day that there is no work available for that day and thus you as a contractor cannot invoice for that day, so too can you as a contractor simply inform the client that you are "unavailable for work" on a given day and won't be invoicing the client for that day. Cuts both ways.

Repeat this every day until either the contract expires or the client gets cheesed off enough to terminate the contract for you. You haven't, technically, breached the contract, but the client is likely to be less than pleased.

Comment

Not really. Generally you want to leave a gig early to start another so JSA doesn't come in to it.

You fill in the forms and leave the JSA jokes to us.
                    In all seriousness, apart from the time mentioned above where I did try to leave early (and as I said, it fell through), I've actually NEVER left a gig early.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                      99.9% of all contractor substitution clauses are a sham anyway since they almost always require the client to approve of the sub first.
                      rubbish.

The client insisting that they approve the substitute does not make the clause a sham.

The agency refusing to let you send the substitute, possibly makes it a sham.
                      Unless you follow up immediately by terminating the contract, without notice, for the agency breaching the contract. It's no longer a sham at that point.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X