• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 weeks notice contract - Been given 1.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Careful now. That's getting dangerously close to jumping ship for a bit more money and you'll incur the wrath of NLUK for such unprofessional misconduct.

You're there for as long as the client tells you so. Client says jump, you say how high. Always remember that.
    This thread is really about the legal position of a notice period, not the business implications. Please do try to keep on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      This thread is really about the legal position of a notice period, not the business implications. Please do try to keep on the ball.
      Are there any get out of jail clauses in the contract that they can use to bypass the notice period?

As for a legal stand point, do you want to burn bridges to try win a case against them at an undetermined cost and conclusion?

As others have said, it sucks, but what can you genuinely do.

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
        Are there any get out of jail clauses in the contract that they can use to bypass the notice period?

As for a legal stand point, do you want to burn bridges to try win a case against them at an undetermined cost and conclusion?

Even if the contract has been breached, there is no loss incurred by the ContractorCo, as the client had no obligation to offer work anyway (assuming it's a reasonably standard contract).

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post

read the contract. There will likely be a 'no signed timesheet, no money' clause. So they just refuse to sign those. You're still 'in contract' for the duration of the notice period but not getting paid.

Just accept the one week gracefully and spend it looking for the next gig.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Even if the contract has been breached, there is no loss incurred by the ContractorCo, as the client had no obligation to offer work anyway (assuming it's a reasonably standard contract).
            Originally posted by Lance View Post
            read the contract. There will likely be a 'no signed timesheet, no money' clause. So they just refuse to sign those. You're still 'in contract' for the duration of the notice period but not getting paid.

Just accept the one week gracefully and spend it looking for the next gig.
            +1 for both of these.

I've seen a contractor walked because they weren't up to the job.
            I've seen two contractors walked because of a budget cull from on high.
            The day rate is high because the risks are - no sick pay, no holiday pay, no redundancy, no guaranteed notice period, etc.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

OP just move on 1 week is better than zero weeks! Until its ALL in the bank the numbers on your contract are trapped in a speculative bubble constantly subject to budget & project changes. This is why I think UK IT contractors are vastly underpaid as they take ALL the risk & client side have all the real leverage.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                OP just move on 1 week is better than zero weeks! Until its ALL in the bank the numbers on your contract are trapped in a speculative bubble constantly subject to budget & project changes. This is why I think UK IT contractors are vastly underpaid as they take ALL the risk & client side have all the real leverage.
                Usually. I've seen a couple that I wouldn't trust cleaning toilets!
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Musicman are you working in Canary Wharf btw?

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all,

I have accepted gracefully and will maintain a good relationship.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                      Thanks all,

I have accepted gracefully and will maintain a good relationship.

Cheers
                      Thanks for the update. Better to have a return trip, always looks good on the cv if you get back in again - add your hiring manager and another potential hiring manager on LinkedIn and let them know when you're coming free again to see if there's anything coming up at their place. I've had repeat business at the same client and repeat business at a new client for the same hiring manager through it.

Comment

Working...
                      X