• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV gap - agency asking for bank statements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV gap - agency asking for bank statements

Hi all,

I'm new-ish to contracting. I have a short gap on my CV (3 months), and the agency has asked me for bank statements as proof - they said it was the clients policy. I took time out as my mother was unwell, so spent some time with her and with family, alongside taking some general time out to re-assess my career. Also helped a friend voluntarily, as he was setting up a business.

I told the agency, that I wont provide bank statements as its very private/confidential information i.e. I don't want anyone to know how much money I have and what I spend it on!

My current employer/agency, didn't ask for such information.

Any advice on what I could do? I do for example have a 2nd bank account, that I use for small bits and bobs - maybe i could provide that if push comes to shove? Seen as they did not specify what account it has to be, and considering that people often have multiple bank accounts.

Cheers,

S.

I guess it depends on whether you want the contract or not. Some on here will tell you never to provide anything and that every business is evil and trying to steal your soul.
    Others will say do what you need to to get the work.

Ask the agent why they want your bank statements and what they will prove.
    Normally they will say it is to prove that you were spending money, and not, for example, locked up at Her Majesty’s pleasure.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Personally I’d be telling them to do one. Is the role one that needs clearance or banking related? If not (and even if so) your explanation should be more than sufficient.

Three months isn’t of much concern. Lots of folks are benched that amount of time or just personally decide to have a few months off after a few years.

A better idea around any regulatory requirements for the role would help.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I guess it depends on whether you want the contract or not. Some on here will tell you never to provide anything and that every business is evil and trying to steal your soul.
        Others will say do what you need to to get the work.

Ask the agent why they want your bank statements and what they will prove.
        Normally they will say it is to prove that you were spending money, and not, for example, locked up at Her Majesty’s pleasure.
        Agent said they want to see that I was sustaining myself. But surely, providing a savings statement would clear that up? Moreover, it shouldn't concern them how I sustained myself, maybe my family was giving me money etc.

Regarding being locked up, wouldn't a criminal check confirm that I wasn't? Secondly, I wouldn't have got my current gig...

Comment

They just want to check that you weren't spending time at Her Majesty's pleasure, or you haven't been money laundering/financing terrorism (esp if it's a financial gig).

Show them an account but block out all the account nos/sort codes. I've done that with no issues.

You can say no, they may tell you to jog on. Contracting, hey, it's full of decisions.

ps - buy the sex toys on the credit card.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

On the one and only occasion this happened to me I told the agency to go f**k themselves.

I eventually gave them permission to speak to my accountant to verify that I was solvent and not in jail, which they did and everything as sorted that way.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

And in these heady days of GDPR they aren't allowed to keep details about you that you didn't give them permission to keep.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

My view, having been on the 'dark side' of screening and vetting.

I'd say it depends on the role and the level of screening required. But for a contractor I'd say what they are asking for would be unusual.

But some firms will want to know the what the gaps are, dependent on the screening policy. They will need to know what you were doing, and this will involve looking at banks statements showing what comes in and what goes out. And yes from previous posts were you at HMP somewhere. But if you were caring / dealing with a death, you'll need to provide evidence. Not nice having to do that but that's the way it is.

Seen a few instances where bank statements have been provided, with some transfers from wife/partner/boyfriend etc with some text such as 'for services rendered last night'. Done as a joke and always gets a laugh, but maybe a thought that nothing is private.

As I say, as a contractor it is a bit different normally but maybe good to know......

Comment

Originally posted by toastermoster View Post
                  My view, having been on the 'dark side' of screening and vetting.

I'd say it depends on the role and the level of screening required. But for a contractor I'd say what they are asking for would be unusual.

But some firms will want to know the what the gaps are, dependent on the screening policy. They will need to know what you were doing, and this will involve looking at banks statements showing what comes in and what goes out. And yes from previous posts were you at HMP somewhere. But if you were caring / dealing with a death, you'll need to provide evidence. Not nice having to do that but that's the way it is.

Seen a few instances where bank statements have been provided, with some transfers from wife/partner/boyfriend etc with some text such as 'for services rendered last night'. Done as a joke and always gets a laugh, but maybe a thought that nothing is private.

As I say, as a contractor it is a bit different normally but maybe good to know......
                  Why do people always spout this stupid line when incarceration would show up on your CRB ? A bank account with money outgoing and/or incoming doesn't prove you were not in jail.
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    On the one and only occasion this happened to me I told the agency to go f**k themselves.

I eventually gave them permission to speak to my accountant to verify that I was solvent and not in jail, which they did and everything as sorted that way.
                    So you were all mouthy to start off with, then backed down and became a bit more reasonable, is that what you’re saying?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X