• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back talking project lead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ll keep it simple -
    Anyone worked under a senior lead who talked nonsense behind your back, but was ‘nice and overly’ pleasant when in front of you?
    How have you handled it?
    Last edited by colonolcontractor; 30 June 2018, 16:19.

Que??

‘nice and overly’ pleasant when in front of you
    Count me in!!!
    Last edited by Cirrus; 1 July 2018, 06:50.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Yes.
      Last edited by MrButton; 30 June 2018, 15:39. Reason: The original post was completely changed.

Comment

Are you saying he's bitching about you or he just talks nonsense?

Comment

Are you saying he is back talking or talking behind your back?

Comment

Or did he go somewhere and he's now back talking?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by colonolcontractor View Post
              I’ll keep it simple -
              Anyone worked under a senior lead who talked nonsense behind your back, but was ‘nice and overly’ pleasant when in front of you?
              How have you handled it?
              What I will say will be blunt but meh

Office politics as a contractor shouldn't affect you as long as it doesn't get you fired. If you are wary he is trying to knife you just put distance between yourself and him/her and make sure you get the idiot to put stuff down in writing in emails/memos in case of problems.

Otherwise just ask the question is this affecting quality of work life and if it is, hand in notice and move on to the next gig. Unless they are treating you like a permie and get mortally boned out you gave notice just state you are moving to another job and go out quietly no one will remember you a few months down the line.

For me personally, I don't have time for petty squabbling on the job as I consider it really a pointless exercise (Nothing is permanent and no one will really care and also whats the point as sooner rather later most of the work you have done will be replaced later down the road also you are self-employed so really you are your own boss).

Comment

Happens all the time. People are friendly to your face then behind your back either trying to get their best mate your job or undermine you to make them look good or for you to take the blame for their mistakes. Either way just ignore otherwise it eventually gets worse & you will have to leave or confront the person. More often than not if you confront someone you get branded as a troublemaker not them so best to just let it slide & keep billing or pull them up subtly when they least expect it in front of others as well works best to really show them you mean business (be prepared to walk after this it can backfire if the people are senior or perms).

Comment

Simply don't concern yourself with what this person is saying and focus only on the things you can control - your own actions and your own thoughts.

Comment

Take him for lunch.
                    Sloooowly work in how contractors manage to avoid office politics. After all, you know of a person who disparaged a contractor and harmed his potential to get future business with the client. The contractor sued and it was a slam dunk.
                    Be very very subtle, even subliminal.

Comment

Working...
                    X