• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts with 'Reply' group

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracts with 'Reply' group

Close to starting a contract with part of the organisation above. Contract that has been sent through only yesterday all looks to be good from an IR35 POV (Master agreement, schedule of work, relevant clauses etc etc). Trouble is, there is limited time to get it independently reviewed by the likes of QDOS. My accountant has already reviewed it and is of the opinion its outside. Has anyone get any experience of contract reviews from the Reply group? My guess is that they have loads of contracts and that the template that they use is fine. Got to be a bit careful though if a QDOS review recommended changes and the contract was already signed.......

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
    Close to starting a contract with part of the organisation above. Contract that has been sent through only yesterday all looks to be good from an IR35 POV (Master agreement, schedule of work, relevant clauses etc etc). Trouble is, there is limited time to get it independently reviewed by the likes of QDOS. My accountant has already reviewed it and is of the opinion its outside. Has anyone get any experience of contract reviews from the Reply group? My guess is that they have loads of contracts and that the template that they use is fine. Got to be a bit careful though if a QDOS review recommended changes and the contract was already signed.......
    Why oh why do people ask accountants to review contracts? You wouldn't ask a plumber to check the wiring in the fuse box!

Anyhow - it doesn't matter how much time you've got: get the contract checked. Not just for IR35, in fact IR35 may be the least of the worries the way case law is going, but there can be all sorts of things lurking in there. Are you liable for consequential damages? If so, run a mile (maybe). How about liabilities? IPR? Patents? Reciprocal rights to terminate? Handcuff clauses? Provision of software/tooling? What extended warranties are there after the contract end period? Do you really want to risk being called back a year or even two later to fix a bug?

Get it checked. It only takes a day or two. Contract extensions are different, you may wish to take a fly on them if there are no changes, but I'd always get a new contract looked over.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
      Why oh why do people ask accountants to review contracts? You wouldn't ask a plumber to check the wiring in the fuse box!

Anyhow - it doesn't matter how much time you've got: get the contract checked. Not just for IR35, in fact IR35 may be the least of the worries the way case law is going, but there can be all sorts of things lurking in there. Are you liable for consequential damages? If so, run a mile (maybe). How about liabilities? IPR? Patents? Reciprocal rights to terminate? Handcuff clauses? Provision of software/tooling? What extended warranties are there after the contract end period? Do you really want to risk being called back a year or even two later to fix a bug?

Get it checked. It only takes a day or two. Contract extensions are different, you may wish to take a fly on them if there are no changes, but I'd always get a new contract looked over.
      In some cases it might be cheaper to take the contract and IR35 insurance, instead of losing several days billing to get it IR35 reviewed.

As for the other clauses, if you as a business owner can't judge the contract on your own, you might be better off going perm. Besides I don't believe that the IR35 review services are lookign at the other unrelated clauses in the contract to being with.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        As for the other clauses, if you as a business owner can't judge the contract on your own, you might be better off going perm.
        Seriously? You could make this argument about any bought-in expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
          Trouble is, there is limited time to get it independently reviewed by the likes of QDOS. .
          Why do you say that? There is as much time as you need to get it reviewed properly. If that means starting a couple of days later, so be it.

Comment

QDOS do a 24 hour turn around if you cross their palms. Much cheaper than not getting on to site for a few days so well worth it.

Remember you have position power at this point. They want you and any other option will cost them a lot of time and money. No way are they going to bin you for a couple of days delay so you hold all the cards. Advise them your legals will take a few days, they might grumble but it's life. Suppliers do it to clients all the time. Don't think for a minute your contract is in jeopardy just for a few days delay.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
              SJD offer this service for free to their customers turnaround time a couple of hours usually
              Having said that SJD passed my contract and QDOS failed the same one

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                SJD offer this service for free to their customers turnaround time a couple of hours usually
                But SJD appear not to be doing a very good job of providing accountancy services let alone IR35 reviews.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  QED

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    snip....

Besides I don't believe that the IR35 review services are lookign at the other unrelated clauses in the contract to being with.
                    Rather depends who you ask. Abbey will for one example. As always, you get what you pay for.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X