• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Additional travel and expense whilst covering a former colleague

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Additional travel and expense whilst covering a former colleague

Afternoon all.

I have a little conundrum and wouldn't mind some thoughts and advice.

I've been in a Project Management role for 6-7 weeks, the role is specifically based in two locations (Leeds two days, Manchester two days with one day working from home).
    To cut a long story short, the Programme Manager who was also a contractor has left and I've been unofficially installed as the temporary Programme Manager whilst they recruit. I say "unofficially" in that I was asked by the outgoing Programme Manager to report up and start to attend the meetings that he used to. I've had nothing formal from the client or the agency.

I'm happy to help out and "step up" for the time being, but don't want the role myself as I'm happy doing what I do. It's looking like it will be another 4-6 weeks.

Anyway, part of this stepping up has involved working in Bristol last week and London this week and next.

Any tips or advice how I tackle the question of either expenses being paid or a temporary rate increase?

For the record I'm happy here, I'm just finding myself considerable worse off financially for doing a more senior role in the short term.
    Last edited by ChangePM; 15 May 2018, 14:50.

Originally posted by ChangePM View Post
    Afternoon all.

I have a little conundrum and wouldn't mind some thoughts and advice.

I've been in a Project Management role for 6-7 weeks, the role is specifically based in two location (Leeds two days, Manchester two days with one day working from home).
    To cut a long story short, the Programme Manager who was also a contractor has left and I've been unofficially installed as the temporary Programme Manager whilst they recruit. I say "unofficially" in that I was asked by the outgoing Programme Manager to report up and start to attend the meetings that he used to. I've had nothing formal from the client or the agency.

I'm happy to help out and "step up" for the time being, but don't want the role myself as I'm happy doing what I do. It's looking like it will be another 4-6 weeks.

Anyway, part of this stepping up has involved working in Bristol last week and London this week and next.

Any tips or advice how I tackle the question of either expenses being paid or a temporary rate increase?

For the record I'm happy here, I'm just finding myself considerable worse off financially for doing a more senior role in the short term.
    You highlight the position to the client. Point out that you have covered unofficially until now but if they want it to continue you will need the additional expenses covering as they fall outside the scope of your contract.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      You highlight the position to the client. Point out that you have covered unofficially until now but if they want it to continue you will need the additional expenses covering as they fall outside the scope of your contract.
      Surely if they want it to continue he OP needs a new contract because its a different role, not just expenses?

Just be careful of IR35. Doing stuff because you are asked to isn't a good IR35.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Surely if they want it to continue he OP needs a new contract because its a different role, not just expenses?

Just be careful of IR35. Doing stuff because you are asked to isn't a good IR35.
        Strictly speaking yes, but given it's short term / temporary I wouldn't bother. It would be more hassle than it was worth for all involved as it would have to be changed back again afterwards. In the event that HMRC come calling it would just look like a paper exercise to avoid IR35 liabilities.

In this case it could be seen as a gesture of goodwill on behalf of a supplier in return for expenses involved being covered.

Of course if Client Co. turn round and say they want it to be permanent that's a different issue.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
        X