• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am struggling to find next contract, how about others?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fidot View Post
    Oh, the irony
    It must have been on purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by SillyPerson View Post
      Really - if your giving advise to someone to ‘move home or downsize’ based on one post then..we’ll im not sure your a expert.
      I do not claim to be an expert I am just offering free solid advice based from my own & many other long term contractors I know experiences. A small number of people live in wealth bubbles where everything is ALWAYS going in one direction but most people are experiencing the exact opposite in NORMAL day to day life.

If you are struggling to find a contract after a few months on the bench & there are 100s of other PM's on the bench (many of those will have less bench time than you) its time to limit your spending & consider downsizing your home unless you have a healthy bank balance otherwise you risk falling into a debt cycle & or real financial hardship.

Comment

I am struggling to find next contract, how about others?

[QUOTE=Back around the mid 2000s when contracts were few and far between, agents regularly told me they were not submitting any contractors who were on the bench. They were only encouraging those in contracts to leave and take theirs! How ridiculous was that?[/QUOTE]

I guess in a weird and perverse way it kind of makes sense. Instead of filling one position they can potentially fill two. Having dealt with agents for 20+ years (albeit in engineering) I can kind of see the logic behind their actions. Very frustrating though.

Comment

I'm in a similar area, but different role - I'm a developer/BA. I was expected to have a new contract straight away from my network. Instead, I've got an offer of around £500 per day working somewhere I really don't want to work, or go permanent for £90k. I was expecting to get a contract for £700/day+ (and would be willing to take whatever came up), but I was being naive.

Comment

You may want to consider changing your title from Project Manager to Digital Transformation Manager.

Comment

Originally posted by tpsman View Post
              I'm in a similar area, but different role - I'm a developer/BA. I was expected to have a new contract straight away from my network. Instead, I've got an offer of around £500 per day working somewhere I really don't want to work, or go permanent for £90k. I was expecting to get a contract for £700/day+ (and would be willing to take whatever came up), but I was being naive.
              I am going to be honest with ya. - I would take the 90k.

Comment

Originally posted by SillyPerson View Post
                It’s - it is (its - belonging to it)

You’re - you are (your - it’s yours)

Really - if your giving advise to someone to ‘move home or downsize’ based on one post then..we’ll im not sure your a expert.
                It was doing my head in too...

Comment

Originally posted by MattFromEarth View Post
                  I guess in a weird and perverse way it kind of makes sense. Instead of filling one position they can potentially fill two. Having dealt with agents for 20+ years (albeit in engineering) I can kind of see the logic behind their actions. Very frustrating though.
                  Oh yeah. Client is just going to ask agency that has poached their in situ contractor (and maybe others) to find their replacement(s)! Honestly.

Comment

I don't suppose

There are many o&g contractors on this site?

Comment

Very few (posters at least). Perhaps the recent perk up in oil price will coax a few more back into the o&g market as rates start to recover. I'm in operations (with a small software side-hustle) where activity has definately picked up although a portion of that seems to be due to projects commited to during times of higher prices. However, based on the internationally accepted miserable Aberdeen taxi driver sentiment barometer, times seem to be as grim as ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X