• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency and HR sidestepping increase negotiation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZodTheMerciless View Post
    If the agent is going to do nothing I don't see why they should get more money as a result of me doing what they should be.
    it might not seem right, but they have control.

Imagine the scenario where you agree £100 extra per day from the client. You then get £50 extra per day (or maybe nothing extra at all) from the agent.
    What are you going to do? You have to be willing to walk or suck it up.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      it might not seem right, but they have control.

Imagine the scenario where you agree £100 extra per day from the client. You then get £50 extra per day (or maybe nothing extra at all) from the agent.
      What are you going to do? You have to be willing to walk or suck it up.
      But that scenario isn't real and doesn't really help.

The agent knows the client has a rate card. Probably been working to the same rate card for more or less every single contractor. One comes along and wants more? Why does he want more? Is he delivering more, has his ability increased while he's been there? Or is he just being greedy and holding his client over a barrel? Does an agent really want to enter a fight they know they won't win over a greedy contractor? Not really.

OK the contract is with the agent and they should be the go between client and contractor but if the agent is on a fixed margin and I was looking for the rate increase to come from the clients rate card then I'd actually prefer to drop the incompetent party who doesn't care as there is nothing in for them (Ok a few %). The agent would be next to useless so IMO they've done you a favour allowing you to talk to the client.

I would expect you'd put your case to the client and the agent would tell you what is agreed. I don't agree with WiB's comments you've got open season to find the agents commission. Although you can discuss a rise with the client they may not actually talk numbers with you.

How much of a rate rise are you looking for? You gonna dump your client over £20 a day more or are you looking for £100's?

EDIT : All that said I think you are screwed if it is HR they want you to speak to. HR will just stick to the rates. They can't make decisions based on the delivery and impact and agree rates with clients. You should be speaking to supplier management, not HR at the very least.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 12 April 2018, 11:14.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        But that scenario isn't real and doesn't really help.

The agent knows the client has a rate card. Probably been working to the same rate card for more or less every single contractor. One comes along and wants more? Why does he want more? Is he delivering more, has his ability increased while he's been there? Or is he just being greedy and holding his client over a barrel? Does an agent really want to enter a fight they know they won't win over a greedy contractor? Not really.

OK the contract is with the agent and they should be the go between client and contractor but if the agent is on a fixed margin and I was looking for the rate increase to come from the clients rate card then I'd actually prefer to drop the incompetent party who doesn't care as there is nothing in for them (Ok a few %). The agent would be next to useless so IMO they've done you a favour allowing you to talk to the client.

I would expect you'd put your case to the client and the agent would tell you what is agreed. I don't agree with WiB's comments you've got open season to find the agents commission. Although you can discuss a rise with the client they may not actually talk numbers with you.

How much of a rate rise are you looking for? You gonna dump your client over £20 a day more or are you looking for £100's?

EDIT : All that said I think you are screwed if it is HR they want you to speak to. HR will just stick to the rates. They can't make decisions based on the delivery and impact and agree rates with clients. You should be speaking to supplier management, not HR at the very least.

All good points, but doesn't get round the fact that if the client agrees to an increase, the agent is going to want a piece of that action, and the contractor has to accept that. Alright £50 out of £100 isn't going to happen, that was hyperbolic.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          All good points, but doesn't get round the fact that if the client agrees to an increase, the agent is going to want a piece of that action, and the contractor has to accept that. Alright £50 out of £100 isn't going to happen, that was hyperbolic.
          If they are on a fixed margin it will be around 6-8%.. Are you really bothered fighting the whole client/agent model for the sake of 6-8% of a the tasty uplift you got. As I said before it's a benefit the agent has side stepped. If you wanted them to work for their money you would get exactly nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            Well, sounds like they've effectively given you permission to find out what the agency's cut is.

<snip>

First, your edit is pointless. He's being told to speak to supplier management.
            Originally posted by ZodTheMerciless View Post
            They have told me that I need to negotiate this directly with the manager I work with in the client. They say the bank's HR team insist this is the procedure.
            Second, you disagreed with me. You should know better by now.

I didn't say the manager would talk money with him. He's been told by the agent that he CAN talk money with the manager. So he has permission to do so, and if the manager will engage in that conversation, he's almost certain to find out that cut -- and they won't be able to object. He has permission to have a conversation that, if it happens, will almost inevitably reveal that.

OP, the suggestion above to get it in writing from the agent is a wise one. They should agree that their cut won't change, and the increase comes through to you entirely. They aren't going to do anything for it, and by refusing to get involved, they are saying they would be happy to provide the service for exactly what they are getting right now. So there's no reason for their cut to increase just because you've done some work that they might have done. Get that up front.

Comment

If they are on a fixed margin it will be around 6-8%.. Are you really bothered fighting the whole client/agent model for the sake of 6-8% of a the tasty uplift you got.
              Fight it in advance, when they think you aren't getting an increase.

Comment

Is this still being chatted about and not actioned by the OP!?!

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Fight it in advance, when they think you aren't getting an increase.
                  Surely fighting it in advance and getting it in writing costs the agents time and money so they are actually doing some extra work so they would be justified in keeping their percentage?
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 12 April 2018, 14:12.

Comment

I'm glad to see you care so much about making sure the agent is treated fairly.

Comment

Working...
                    X