• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 appeal success

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 appeal success

https://www.ipse.co.uk/our/news-list...ir35-case.html

"HMRC looked at the relevant factors and decided that IR35 should apply. The Tribunal looked at those same factors and decided that it shouldn’t. If HMRC, with all its expertise seemingly cannot make a correct determination, how are public authorities and individual businesses supposed to get it right?"

Think they may appeal this one surely they can't be seen to have lost (again)? What's the actually score for them win/lose/draw over the last 20 years.

Comment

Decision can be found here MDCM Ltd v Revenue and Customs (INCOME TAX/CORPORATION TAX : Personal service companies (IR 35)) [2018] UKFTT 147 (TC) (19 March 2018)

Comment

Well all that is a bit of a joke isn't it. Looks like it's time to re-write 18 years worth of IR35 guides cause he got away with a load of stuff that is key in many guides. If it's so easy to win an appeal with so many so called IR35 red flags then what's the point of even trying to stay outside?

If he can get away with that what is the point of IR35 insurance and professional representation? They are making money for doing nothing it appears.

He's won and good on him but for some reason I'm slightly annoyed by all that.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 26 March 2018, 19:06.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Well all that is a bit of a joke isn't it. Looks like it's time to re-write 18 years worth of IR35 guides cause he got away with a load of stuff that is key in many guides. If it's so easy to win an appeal with so many so called IR35 red flags then what's the point of even trying to stay outside?

If he can get away with that what is the point of IR35 insurance and professional representation? They are making money for doing nothing it appears.

Why are you upset with him? HMRC screwed up their argument.

If you, I or most people here ended up with an investigation it wouldn't get as far as going to a tribunal.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Why are you upset with him? HMRC screwed up their argument.

If you, I or most people here ended up with an investigation it wouldn't get as far as going to a tribunal.
            I'm not upset with him. Dunno, just felt annoyed after reading through it. I'll have a look again tomorrow.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The CEST tool gives 'undetermined'.

Dave Chaplin's posted his analysis - took a slightly different route at the end, but the same outcome.
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 May 2018, 17:23.

Comment

I think what you're missing is the following:

Mr Daniels is not controlled any more than any other contractor and could refuse to work on another site
                It's the lack of D&C, essentially. While HMRC needs to evidence the presence of all three pillars of employment, the contractor only need evidence the absence of one.

You can argue about whether the lack of D&C was sufficient though.

Seems like a fairly borderline case, but most do!

Either way, the more case law generated, the clearer it becomes that IR35 is totally unworkable (if that were really needed).

Comment

Whoohoo no more expensive IR35 insurance required then

Comment

Three pillars. MOO, Substitution, SDC.

The case failed on SDC, specifically on "how the work is done", which is typically described as the most important factor. They didn't control how the work was done.

The fact that there were other red flags doesn't change that. One of the key pillars didn't stand up, the case falls. He wasn't part and parcel.

Substitution shouldn't have stood up, either. When he couldn't make it, they did accept a substitute. His representative should have challenged the engager on that point. "You called the agency and asked for a substitute when he couldn't make it, and accepted the substitute they sent. If the agency had phoned him, and he had provided a qualified substitute to the agency, would you have refused that substitute?" They clearly were willing to accept a substitute.

I don't think the guides have to be rewritten. If there is insufficient MOO to sustain a ruling of employment, insufficient SDC, or substitution, the case falls. The guides deal with how to protect against SDC and how to avoid becoming part and parcel, etc. Other than that, they deal with all the little details that can help tip the balance on close cases. This doesn't invalidate all that. There was insufficient SDC to justify a ruling of employment. Game over. There are a lot of other cases where there is a lot more supervision than there was in this case. When that happens, you better follow those guides, you are going to need every argument you can find on your side.

Edit: well, cross-posted with JB, if I'd seen his post I'd have saved the effort, covered the same bases.
                    Last edited by WordIsBond; 26 March 2018, 21:28.

Comment

Working...
                    X