• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left contract for a new one based on false promises. Help needed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've done well, sometimes being an obstinate git can pay off.

Take the offer (if could cost you a lot more going full legal route) get the next gig, learn the lessons.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I dont see why you would meet in the middle here. Admittedly it isnt a lot of money, though the agency have budged which means theres an admission of some sorts, even if its just an admission that theyre prepared to budge.

Looks like you have a > 50% chance off getting all of it, so the odds are in your favour to pursue.

A lot of advice on here to get up to speed on the art of negotiation, then those same peeps recommend you take the first offer on the table, and to be grateful.

Comment

c) would tempt me just on principle but would take the 50% I think. for reasons stated before.

Comment

Offer to accept 75%. Otherwise take them to court.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
            Do you really want the extra hassle for £563 bank that and move on.
            But do they want the extra hassle?

Comment

Originally posted by ChangePM View Post
              **UPDATE**

After a letter each way and a couple of emails following up, I've just received an email from the legal team at the agency stating that (to paraphrase) they will defend their case if I choose to take it further but if I decide to drop it now they will offer me 50% of what is owed.

I'm torn between three potential options:
              a) I'm definitely in the right, they know I'm right, and are trying to minimise their liability and save themselves half of the money. As a matter of principle and another £563, don't let them off the hook.
              b) Just drop it, take the 50-50 offer and move on.
              c) Give it a couple of days, then respond saying that I'll meet them halfway and accept 75%.

What would you guys do?
              Go with a or c.

You did not opt out. They legally have to pay you for the work that you did, regardless of whether they get paid by the client.

Comment

I would accept the 50% if this was an agent that I would potentially want to do business with in the future. They are at least halfway to doing the right thing.

If not, and you really do not like their compromise, can affort to lose the 50% - go in guns blazing.

Comment

Cheers everyone.

I decided to take the 50-50 offer and just get on with it. I've definitely learned a couple of lessons.

There's a part of me that will always look back and say that I should have stood my ground and took it further but it was becoming more hassle than it's worth. When you're staring at the ceiling at 3am - going over in your mind how you're going to respond to their latest email - you know it's time to move on and put all of your effort into finding the next gig.

I had an interview this morning and have a telephone interview tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully in the end it will all work out for the best.

Thanks again for everyone's advice, tips and general input.

Comment

Working...
                  X