• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Child Maintenance Calculation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child Maintenance Calculation

I am trying to work out child maintenance options, specifically what I am likely to being having to pay out, and frustratingly noone at the CSA/CMS is able to give a definitive answer as to how this is calculated for self employed/ contractor ltd types. Or rather they are providing me with conflicting information.

So for those who have been through this (or may otherwise know), how were your payments calculated – gross profit or salary or salary + dividends etc ?

And what happens for future projections, ie when spouse has been removed from the limited company as director/share holder ?

I am no expert but I believe at the moment it is only salary taken into account, although there are moves afoot to change this:

Child Maintenance Loophole

Comment

Ouch. Given that maintenance will be payable at a proportion of your £11k, you may want to make voluntary contributions...!
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        Ouch. Given that maintenance will be payable at a proportion of your £11k, you may want to make voluntary contributions...!
        Yes, so I was told by 1 CMS advisor that it is based on salary + dividends (pre tax) and by another advisor that it is based on gross profit of the limited company, in both cases excluding pension contributions. Hence my confusion...

Comment

Page 38 is where the bad news for you is. Took me about 30 seconds to find.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...aintenance.pdf

Also try some of the parenting forums. For example.. If you type the following in to google 'child maintenance company site:dad.info' you get 357 results

You've got to hope your ex isn't searching Mumsnet.com for the same information though. A lot of very angry women out for ripping their ex's a new one on there. Prey one of these isn't your ex!!!

Vary the search as well. Use LTD or limited instead of company etc...

EDIT : Ooops. Meant to reply to the thread by Coder Saturn, but I'll leave it in as it still looks like relevant info for this thread.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X