• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time contractor needs advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time contractor needs advice

Hi!
    I have just got my first contract job in the UK and I'm going to start in April. My question is: is it possible/realistic for me to set up a limited company in 2 months?
    The problem is that I'm not a UK citizen and I corrently live abroad so I don't have a UK address or bank account. Or should I just start with an umbrella and later I can "upgrade" to ltd?

Thank you for your help!

Do you have the right to work?

Comment

if you're allowed it takes less than a day to setup a LTD company.
      Bank account takes longer.

Whether you're allowed is the key factor. Although the same restrictions would apply to an Umbrella and they will check as they are legally obliged to.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Where are you from? This is a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          Where are you from? This is a good place to start.
          Or more appropriately what passport (or passports) do you hold as this will tell us what your employment rights are

Comment

Hopefully this will be a good one......

Comment

Hmm. First contract, not even in the country, start date 2 months away. Is there anything else that can be piled on to this?
              I will watch this thread with interest.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I'm an EU citizen (I'm from Hungary) so I have the right to work in the UK.

Comment

So the company or agency employing you first checked that they could not hire anyone locally with the right to work in the UK?

I thought there was now a mandatory £20K fine if they could not prove this as well!
                  https://www.gov.uk/penalties-for-emp...llegal-workers
                  https://www.gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work

Comment

IP check pls Mods - looks like OP isn't biting....

Comment

Working...
                    X