• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting or Perm??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting or Perm??

Hi All,

I am possibly taking my first step into the contracting world!

I have two job offers, one is a 10 min drive from home and a perm job @ 34k.

The contracting job would be my first one and is a 6 month contract @ 210 a day. However this is an hour drive from where I live.

I was just wondering if I could get peoples advice as I am trying to make a decision.

Thanks

Take the perm.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Definitely take the perm. The break-even would be about £300 a day.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Perm

Free Holidays and sick pay !!!

Comment

It is not just a numbers game, it is a life style change. There are a ton of things you will need to become good at to make it as a contractor and a lot of extra considerations that you will need to take into account.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            It is not just a numbers game, it is a life style change. There are a ton of things you will need to become good at to make it as a contractor and a lot of extra considerations that you will need to take into account.
            In short the above actually means 'Take the perm'

Comment

Definitely take the contract. If you take the perm role, within three months you'll be sat in your chair regretting not going for it. Don't have those regrets. (And you'll make as much in those six months as you would in twelve at the perm. What's the worst that can happen?)

Comment

Assuming you're doing this via a limited, take the contract. Find the most reasonably priced accountants you can and get them to set your co. up.

34k a year leaves you with about £2k a month net if I remember rightly. My day rate isn't vastly greater than yours and I have significantly more in the bank net at the end of a month, assuming I wasn't out of the office at all.

If it was 44k, might be a different story...

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                  Assuming you're doing this via a limited, take the contract. Find the most reasonably priced accountants you can and get them to set your co. up.

34k a year leaves you with about £2k a month net if I remember rightly. My day rate isn't vastly greater than yours and I have significantly more in the bank net at the end of a month, assuming I wasn't out of the office at all.

If it was 44k, might be a different story...
                  But you've absolutely no idea of the guys skills and ability to get more contracts. You are basing it on one gig and the assumption it won't get canned early. No information about his personal and financial situation either. Nothing. He might be like the guy we had last month that jacked a gig two weeks in because the drive killed him.

Totally baseless advice.

Comment

I wouldn't let the overly conservative opinions put you off; contract is a lifestyle choice, some of us love the complexities of running our own business etc. Worth trying one in your lifetime.

Financially the contract role is going to be marginally better - however nothing ruins my existence more than a awful commute, subjective - but think hard about that.

Comment

Working...
                    X