• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses: Spending 4 days a week on company site. Is expenses allowed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all,

I am currently spending 4 days a week on a customer site and 1 day working from home.

The contract is expected to be 6 months and I read about the 24 month rule.

Would I be allowed to claim travel, or staying over there as expenses?

Occasionally I will travel to other sites but this will be my main work location 4 days a week.

If you are not caught by the 24 month rule. Then yes - travel, accommodation and sustenance can be expensed from your own company.

Depending on your contract you may be able to claim expenses from your client?

“Are expenses allowed?” would be the correct phrase.

Your accountant would be a good person to ask these questions.

Comment

First question is the contract inside or outside ir35?

If inside you can’t claim

Second question are you using a limited company or an umbrella

With an umbrella you can’t claim

Assuming you are outside ir35 and using a limited company you shuld be able to claim expenses
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thank you both for helping

It is outside IR35 and I am using Ltd company.

I will ask my accountant (it's holidays and I wanted to know).

When can I get these expenses "paid back" to me? The client pays me weekly. I log all of my receipts for hotels, mileage, lunch, etc and send it to my accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyProtein View Post
          Thank you both for helping

It is outside IR35 and I am using Ltd company.

I will ask my accountant (it's holidays and I wanted to know).

When can I get these expenses "paid back" to me? The client pays me weekly. I log all of my receipts for hotels, mileage, lunch, etc and send it to my accountant.
          Whenever you want. It's your company paying you which you control.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks nothernlad.

I suppose the concept I am not understanding is who "approves" this.

I know there is no approver as such (taxman), as long as I stay within a "reasonable" limit, which I do. But reasonable is subjective.

For example is staying in a hotel averaging £70 a day inc breakfast reasonable? And claiming no more than £5 when necessary?

I don't always stay in a hotel, I mix it up sometimes and drive home from a far away location but this can be back breaking and bad for my health so I have to mix it up. I pack my own lunch usually but sometimes I have to buy it.

Does that sound reasonable?

My accountant says as long as it is reasonable it is fine but "reasonable" is not exactly a limit so I am trying to understand what reasonable is for a normal contractor.

Comment

You really need to step it up a gear I am afraid.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You really need to step it up a gear I am afraid.
                Can you be a bit more constructive instead of posting something like this.

I am asking for help as I want to understand. No need to belittle just because you understand and have the experience and I don't. 34,000 posts seems to suggests you have been on this forum far too long man.
                Last edited by HealthyProtein; 25 December 2017, 15:36.

Comment

I am asking for help as I want to understand. No need to belittle just because you understand and have the experience and I don't. 34,000 posts seems to suggests you have been on this forum far too long man.
                  To be honest ,personally, your questions and need to be spoon fed is a reason why ir35 exists and why the rules need to be changed. Your questions are really things that you should be able to quickly find answers to with no need to ask others
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Don’t take it personally. It’s just there is so much info out there for you to do the legwork.

It takes a lot of time to ask the right questions etc etc to finally give you the correct advice.

Spend a few days/weeks just reading blogs, websites and faqs then come back with some more targeted questions.

Comment

Working...
                    X