• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses: Spending 4 days a week on company site. Is expenses allowed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HealthyProtein View Post
    Can you be a bit more constructive instead of posting something like this.

I am asking for help as I want to understand. No need to belittle just because you understand and have the experience and I don't. 34,000 posts seems to suggests you have been on this forum far too long man.
    It is up to you to work within the tax laws and regulations.

One place to start is the first timer's guide on this site under CUK Navigation. That way --->

Then look at IPSE's guide to contracting - use Google to find it.

In fact HMRC have webpages and guides which you can find by Googling also give guidance.

Once you have read these ask your accountant specific questions giving him/her clear detail on how you work, where you are working and why you need to claim expenses.

That's as much spoonfeeding as posters can give you as every person's situation is different.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Can you be a bit more constructive instead of posting something like this.

I am asking for help as I want to understand. No need to belittle just because you understand and have the experience and I don't. 34,000 posts seems to suggests you have been on this forum far too long man.
      I'm giving you the best advice you can get. Everyone else is just spoon feeding you and you aren't moving on.

Expenses are fundamental to running a business. A business that you own. You really need to understand this if you are going to be something more. You have legal responsibilities for the finances of your company now. No small responsibility. Asking when and how YOUR company can pay YOUR expenses when you are the only one in the company?

I could have picked up on the original question where you state...

The contract is expected to be 6 months and I read about the 24 month rule.
      So why are you asking...
      Would I be allowed to claim travel, or staying over there as expenses?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hello all,

I am currently spending 4 days a week on a customer site and 1 day working from home.

The contract is expected to be 6 months and I read about the 24 month rule.

Would I be allowed to claim travel, or staying over there as expenses?

Occasionally I will travel to other sites but this will be my main work location 4 days a week.
        Not an accountant, so you need to verify this with your accountant or other people here.

Assuming you are not under 24 month rule, you can expense travel, accommodation. You can only show as expense what you have actually spent. If you are using your car, then check HMRC website how much you can claim( https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-bene.../rules-for-tax) That money is going to be paid by your company, so it comes from you eventually since you own the company.
        However your company's taxable amount reduces due to expenses, so you get some benefit.

Comment

Working...
        X