Multiple site travel for a single client, can I invoice for this?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 16

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Multiple site travel for a single client, can I invoice for this?

When working for a client with multiple sites who covers the cost of travel (rail, petrol and accommodation)?

When perm you can usually expense travel outside of your usual commute. I have taken the same approach with my current contract, if travelling to a single site my company covers the costs.

What should I be doing with a new client which wants me to travel to multiple sites with no clear "main" site?

1, Expense all travel to the client
    2, Expense all travel with the exception of an agreed location
    3, Cover the costs through the my company

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Decide what you want to do and negotiate.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Double Godlike!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjaywarren View Post
    When working for a client with multiple sites who covers the cost of travel (rail, petrol and accommodation)?

When perm you can usually expense travel outside of your usual commute. I have taken the same approach with my current contract, if travelling to a single site my company covers the costs.

What should I be doing with a new client which wants me to travel to multiple sites with no clear "main" site?

1, Expense all travel to the client
    2, Expense all travel with the exception of an agreed location
    3, Cover the costs through the my company
    Your home office is generally you base.
    I usually I just add a line to the invoice for the expenses part, if they are received on top of the rate.

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Either agree a main site and base all travel from there or agree that you can expense all travel from home to any site.

Main thing is to make sure that you're not out of pocket - have you signed a contract yet?

If you have, you could already be in trouble; if not, get it clear that the client will be picking up the tab for all travel from home and that out of hours trains should be first class where available.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What does the contract say about expenses? Is there a schedule which nominates the base location?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I normally cover my own travel costs to the clientís main site if itís within commutable distance. As I mainly work remotely I can have clients who are miles away from me and in these cases I would bill for travel costs. I would also bill for any travel costs between sites but I wouldnít be bothered about travelling to different sites on different days as long as itís close enough

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    What does the contract say about expenses? Is there a schedule which nominates the base location?
    The contract states - "Unless otherwise agreed in writing, neither the Supplier nor the Consultant shall be entitled to claim from the Company (or the Client) any expenses incurred in connection with the
    performance of the Services.",

I haven't signed anything yet, I just emailed the agent to find out what I am able to claim.

The contract names the "client" along with "clients address", as I understand it this will not be my main location and the location I will be visiting most is a significant commute most likely to require accommodation.

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Either agree a main site and base all travel from there or agree that you can expense all travel from home to any site.

Main thing is to make sure that you're not out of pocket - have you signed a contract yet?

If you have, you could already be in trouble; if not, get it clear that the client will be picking up the tab for all travel from home and that out of hours trains should be first class where available.
    I haven't signed anything yet, trying to get this agreed first. First class travel seems a little excessive if its going to be a regular thing.

Faqqed Off

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjaywarren View Post
    I haven't signed anything yet, trying to get this agreed first. First class travel seems a little excessive if its going to be a regular thing.
    Work out what is appropriate for you - sometimes that's first class and sometimes that isn't. I used to charge one client first class rail because it was the only way I could get a seat on the train and I wasn't prepared to stand to get to their office when they had changed the location. For travel to London, I find it cheaper in first class than standard quite often and so I book that and invoice it.

Agree a base location, wherever that may be, and charge all travel from there or make a best guess at what it'll cost you and add that to the rate that you are charging. The second one may mean you are out of pocket or you could make on the deal if you've got the sums out, so the first is the simplest.

My current client I work from home and invoice all travel and subsistence that I need back to them.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Respect my authoritah!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"What can I claim?" is the wrong approach. Do you think Accenture approach their clients concerning expenses like that? The correct approach is to state that you want to charge on top of your rate for expenses incurred while travelling to the various client sites. Alternatively, if they insist that your rate is inclusive of expenses, you insist that your rate must then be higher than originally agreed. Be armed with reasonable arguments.

Travel to all client sites and first class rail is perfectly acceptable. If I go anywhere on business, even if my ltdco is paying for it, I go 1st class. (One time I was regularly travelling from Birmingham Airport to Leamington Spa - the first class ticket was twice as much as the second class, but included a bacon sarnie, a coffee and a newspaper, so overall was cheaper).
    --drunk on abuse of power--

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast