• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next big step in career, advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next big step in career, advice needed

I was with my previous company for 10+ years and I decided to stick my head above the parapet and see what else is out there. After a month of looking I got a number of offers but I'm torn between the following:

Contract - 450 p/d for 6 months (very likely to extend, reason I know is explained below) as a Java Team Lead
    Permie - 80K + 5% bonus + 5% pension etc. as Technical/Solution Architect

My current personal situation is I'm mortgage free with money in the bank that I had been saving up for a house extension.

There is a complication with the contract role in that I heard about the vacancy because I was working on the same project for my existing company. Therefore I would be in breach of the non-compete clause in my existing contract. Although I've been doing some investigation on the clause and believe it to be unreasonable and unenforceable because I signed it over 10 years ago when I was just a software developer. In fact the clause is so broad it would even stop me from taking the permie role and working for the vast majority of IT consultancies out there.

At the moment I'm struggling to decide between the two roles and things seems closely matched, what does everyone think? Any advice appreciated.

Take the perm role. Architect is much better than being a Java Team Lead for the rest of your life I reckon.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There's a whole lot more to contracting than just the pay.

Have you factored in no sick pay, no pension contributions, no training, no holiday pay, no mat/paternity pay? Etc etc. Essentially, if you don't turn up, you don't get paid, sometimes you don't get paid if you do turn up. Everything you get for "free" as a permie, comes out of your pocket as a contractor.

Do you know what it takes to run a company? It's not tough but if you're not aware of some basic fundamentals you'll be in the tulip in no time.

Permie vs contractor isn't quite as straightforward a comparison as you're implying.
      Last edited by ladymuck; 3 December 2017, 19:18.

Comment

Take the contract.
        Take the permanent offer.
        Take the advice you want to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          There's a whole lot more to contracting than just the pay.

Have you factored in no sick pay, no pension contributions, no training, no holiday pay, no mat/paternity pay? Etc etc. Essentially, if you don't turn up, you don't get paid, sometimes you don't get paid if you do turn up. Everything you get for "free" as a permie, comes out of your pocket as a contractor.

Do you know what it takes to run a company? It's not tough but if you're not aware of some basic fundamentals you'll be in the tulip in no time.

Permie vs contractor isn't quite as straightforward a comparison as you're implying.
          Having not been a contractor before most of these things will be new to me, although I'm sure I can learn. I do plan to start a family soon, would being a contractor be a bad fit for this? Although I am worried about a period of unemployment I would hope being mortgage free would go some way to ease some of the worry. I was hoping to get as much information as possible because I am genuinely on the fence about the two positions.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicboy View Post
            Having not been a contractor before most of these things will be new to me, although I'm sure I can learn. I do plan to start a family soon, would being a contractor be a bad fit for this? Although I am worried about a period of unemployment I would hope being mortgage free would go some way to ease some of the worry. I was hoping to get as much information as possible because I am genuinely on the fence about the two positions.
            It would help if you told us which sector you worked in. And where you live. Do you want to be travelling round the country to work?

I assume from your username you are male? If so, DO NOT START A FAMILY. You will quickly find you have no right to see your children. And every obligation of paying for them. Though contentment and happiness are over-rated anyway.

If you are female, go right ahead. You can go for equal rights in the workplace without giving up rights in the home. Of course, until 1969 the law was incredibly unfair on women so its quite correct that the changes made then(and extended in 1987) so get retribution for that period of inequality.

Comment

Although I am worried about a period of unemployment
              This concern alone is reason enough for you to take the permanent position.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                It would help if you told us which sector you worked in. And where you live. Do you want to be travelling round the country to work?

I assume from your username you are male? If so, DO NOT START A FAMILY. You will quickly find you have no right to see your children. And every obligation of paying for them. Though contentment and happiness are over-rated anyway.

If you are female, go right ahead. You can go for equal rights in the workplace without giving up rights in the home. Of course, until 1969 the law was incredibly unfair on women so its quite correct that the changes made then(and extended in 1987) so get retribution for that period of inequality.
                I've been working for a software consultancy but the projects have been mostly government based work. I live in London (zone 4), the contract role is also in London and takes around an hour each way. The permie role is a software consultancy with it's root in the fintech industry and some travel may be required.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                  This concern alone is reason enough for you to take the permanent position.
                  I'm concerned but not overly concerned due to the fact my finances are in good order and already have a warchest (assuming I don't use it for house extension) that would see me through a couple of years and my wife is in full time employment.

Comment

I've been working for a software consultancy but the projects have been mostly government based work. I live in London (zone 4), the contract role is also in London and takes around an hour each way. The permie role is a software consultancy with it's root in the fintech industry and some travel may be required.
                    IMO thats another reason to take the permie role. I dislike anything government based. Some say the current political upheaval will be bad for fintech - and they may be right. However I far prefer that sector. Of course, you are not me.

It sounds like you are used to the commuting stuff though - which is excellent news.

In 2015 I got made redundent from an IB. 18 months after they begged me to join from a hedge fund. Persinally I don't think permanent is any more secure than contract these days. But I am probably bitter and twisted.

Comment

Working...
                    X