• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next big step in career, advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a decision only you can make.

Do you want to run your own company and be in business on you own account? If so, take the contract, but be prepared for periods without work, travel away from home, the highs and lows of the market place and making your own provisions for financial security. If not, then take the permie role and build a career from there.

And don't forget to read the first timer guides --->

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      IMO thats another reason to take the permie role. I dislike anything government based. Some say the current political upheaval will be bad for fintech - and they may be right. However I far prefer that sector. Of course, you are not me.

It sounds like you are used to the commuting stuff though - which is excellent news.

In 2015 I got made redundent from an IB. 18 months after they begged me to join from a hedge fund. Persinally I don't think permanent is any more secure than contract these days. But I am probably bitter and twisted.
      Can you explain why the current political climate would be bad for fintech?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        It's a decision only you can make.

Do you want to run your own company and be in business on you own account? If so, take the contract, but be prepared for periods without work, travel away from home, the highs and lows of the market place and making your own provisions for financial security. If not, then take the permie role and build a career from there.

And don't forget to read the first timer guides --->
        Thanks, having worked for a software consultancy travel is something I've been used to. In fact working for a software consultancy was almost like contracting with the changing roles and threat of bench time and need to maintain a network to find new roles.

Comment

So the jobs on offer are commutable, great. What about the next one, and the one after that?

You're in a better position in that London gigs are an easier commute (although I guess that depends on which side of London you are compared to where the work is). However, some people do travel a heck of a lot just to get to work and that's not for everyone.

It's super tempting to go into contracting for a gig that's up the road. However, as many people have said on these fora, it's landing the next gig and the one after that which is tricky.

I can say it took me about 5 years before I started getting gigs based on networking/recommendation rather than scouring jobtulipe and having to stalk agents just for a call back.

We're all sounding rather negative but don't be disheartened; we're just not in the business of saying it's all great, the water's warm and the beers are cold. The water has been peed in by HMRC and the beer is taxable. However, there's a pina colada or two to be had if you keep your wits about you.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicboy View Post
            Can you explain why the current political climate would be bad for fintech?
            https://forums.contractoruk.com/brexit/

Be careful not to swear in professional forums. And B****t is the biggest swear word there is on CUK now....

Comment

Personally if I were you i'd Take the contract and go umbrella; Work your balls off for 6 months and don't take any time off. After 6 months you will know if it's "for you" or not. Then if you decide to stay in the contract market you can start your own ltd. and continue to contract or, if not, you can go back to the perm market.

That's what i'd do, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                The water has been peed in by HMRC and the beer is taxable. However, there's a pina colada or two to be had if you keep your wits about you.
                That's going in the tank to come out another day! Great quote

Comment

I've never subscribed to the theory that you cannot progress your career via contracting - in many ways its easier as you switch roles all every year or so.

The issue, however, with contracting is that there is often a trade off between commute distance, income and bench time. Be prepared to accept a longer commute (even away from home) to avoid a low paid contract or time not working...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                    That's going in the tank to come out another day! Great quote
                    Come in the tank? Is this post 2019?

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone, going by the answers, it's like I thought and there is no clear winner. I have a few more things to think about at least.

Comment

Working...
                      X