• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monthly railway ticket- can this be expensed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always used to expense my monthly rail pass. I wonder if there's some confusion because a BIK always arises from a company car, even if you only use it for work, on the grounds that it is available.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      As long as the business use justifies purchasing a season ticket rather than individual tickets, then it's allowable. (subject to 24 month rule etc).
      As illustrated in example 2 here:
      https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim16067

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Nope. No pictures on that page...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          I always used to expense my monthly rail pass. I wonder if there's some confusion because a BIK always arises from a company car, even if you only use it for work, on the grounds that it is available.
          So do I unless it is cheaper for me to use daily tickets and in some incidences it is especially if the client is flexible about start times.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I just spoke to my accountants (SJD) and they said the same thing as your accountant OP. They said weekly tickets (mon-fri) were better and wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
              I just spoke to my accountants (SJD) and they said the same thing as your accountant OP. They said weekly tickets (mon-fri) were better and wouldn't raise any eyebrows.
              I'd follow that up with asking them why their advice is different from the examples that HMRC give in the expenses manual. If they can't give a good reason (and I'd love to hear it), then fire them.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                I'd follow that up with asking them why their advice is different from the examples that HMRC give in the expenses manual.
                This

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                If they can't give a good reason (and I'd love to hear it), then fire them.
                A little drastic if you're otherwise happy with their advice.

Comment

I've been happy with their advice thus far.

I think they are just trying to act on the cautious side. I read the HMRC article and it would appear that my accountants (and the OPs accountants) have got the wrong end of the stick.

Comment

They are clearly cretins who have never travelled by public transport.

For TFL and rail companies in the UK, weekly tickets are 7 day.

So you will still get 2 days personal benefit.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've been happy with their advice thus far.

I think they are just trying to act on the cautious side. I read the HMRC article and it would appear that my accountants (and the OPs accountants) have got the wrong end of the stick.
                      Same here, generally happy with the service they provided so far. But it's really annoying if I have to educate them for things I'm paying for...

Comment

Working...
                      X