• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want to become Business Analyst...qualifications needed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to become Business Analyst...qualifications needed?

Hi all

I am currently contracting within an IT department doing Admin. I would like to make the leap into becoming a Business Analyst as they always seem to be in high demand and are paid very well (£50 minimum per hour here.)

My question is - what qualification/s do I need to make this leap? I did not go to university. I have some IT experience (software testing, technical helpdesk, software support analyst) but what qualification do I need to attain?

Many thanks

Are you talking about permies or contractors. If you are talking about contractors it's years of solid experience you need. Being backed up with a qualification might help but the qualification alone is useless.

You'll probably need to find a permie job and get trained up and deliver for a couple of years before you can sell your skills at anywhere near those rates.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

you would think so

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Are you talking about permies or contractors. If you are talking about contractors it's years of solid experience you need. Being backed up with a qualification might help but the qualification alone is useless.

You'll probably need to find a permie job and get trained up and deliver for a couple of years before you can sell your skills at anywhere near those rates.
      you would think this would be the case

i know of 2 recruitment agents bods that packed up and have transferred to become Business Analysts in the last year on £500 a day - top buffers and very opportunistic, if not specialized and you can follow a companies framework - how hard could it be

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

This.

Best thing would be to get involved with some projects where you work and build up some credible experience there before moving into a junior BA role, maybe at your current employer,

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          This.

Best thing would be to get involved with some projects where you work and build up some credible experience there before moving into a junior BA role, maybe at your current employer,
          I am currently contracting within an IT department doing Admin
          HTH
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There are two streams of Business Analyst jobs - old school ones who learnt on the job, often coming up through IT-based project management and taking on the BA title when it meant a bigger salary

Or the graduate type that likes making Powerpoints and enormous docs but tends to farm out the detail

I'm the first kind cos I like actually doing stuff, but YMMV
            Last edited by Contractor UK; 26 December 2017, 21:33.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

If you want to become a BA, go perm and suck it up - you'll need five years under your belt to get a consistent string of BA contract roles under your belt. Any decent permie co will train you to be a BA; why stop there though? Why not push on to project and programme management?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hi OP

Moving into a contract BA role with no BA experience is gonna get you found out pretty pronto. You might need to - Run workshops, capture requirements, engage with Business users, engage with IT, write functional specs, write a detailed project plan etc etc etc.

Would suggest you get a permie BA role and build up these skills first

Best of luck
                We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Depends on what type of BA you fancy being too.

There's the techy ones and there's the non-techy. I'm more the latter. I do stuff around business process, reporting, ensuring the tech stuff works for the end user etc. It's probably not BA work in the more traditional sense but it's the best description I've managed to come across. I do the requirements gathering and gap analyses and the like, lots of data analysis when required, lots of process analysis when required.

I got into it mainly because my roles have always had an element of that work and it didn't take a huge leap to start marketing myself in that manner. However, if I had gone down the fully techy route and got myself into the sticky end of, say, banking then I'd be sitting pretty on the day rates those guys make.

Comment

https://www.iibauk.org/documents/pre...enburg2010.pdf

https://www2.bcs.org/certifications/ba/

I used these people who were very good. Peak Training Solutions | BCS Business Courses in Reading, Berkshire
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X