• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

100k perm + options its a Punt?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a similar offer last summer, declined it as the hiring manager was a presumptuous, haughty, condescending, self-satisfied, stuck-up, arrogant, overbearing, supercilious, high-handed, superior, pedantic a-hole and I knew for sure I would be leaving within 3 months (of course I had the luxury of having a contract offer on the table at the same time as well)

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      I'm commuting 3/4 hrs a day on average
      is that or "three quarters" or "three to four"? if the latter definitely take the WFH...

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        is that or "three quarters" or "three to four"? if the latter definitely take the WFH...
        The latter . Am mulling it over.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          No brainer for me. Take it, give it 6 months and see and then go from there.
          I tried this a couple of years ago. Didn't work out, so handed in notice after three months and went back to contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
            If you believe hammond is going to introduce the public sector IR35 'changes' to the private sector on the 22nd (although implementation would likely be April 2018) then Id say go for it.
            That's the Elephant in the room isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              I tried this a couple of years ago. Didn't work out, so handed in notice after three months and went back to contracting.
              Thats why the plan would be to keep the Ltd dormant for the next 6 months at least, doesn't cost a lot and then the option is always there to just pick up from where one left off.

Comment

Go for it. Nothing to lose as long as the money covers what you need...which it must or you wouldn't even be considering it
                Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

100k perm + options its a Punt?

Beware stock options. If you get actual shares then that’s fine, but options are often just jam tomorrow.
                  I’d consider what you’ve been offered if you get the shareholding early on. If not then consider them of little value.
                  Last edited by Lance; 2 November 2017, 09:44.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I had this option several years ago. Something like a 90k salary + bonus, stock, benefits etc and the best part was it would get me into new tech such as cloud.

I didn't take the job - in fact I dropped out of the process at the 4th interview - but I always look back and wonder what might have been. Instead, I continued contracting in my very dated skillset and yes it's done me OK but I actually reckon I would have been better off if I'd taken the permie job. It would have lept me into new tech, I would enjoyed the benefits and upskilled for 2 or 3 years. I would have had far more choice in career/contracts than I do now.

In fact, the shares themselves would have made me > $100,000.

From my POV, if you feel that the permie job offers you a good step up, or a new skillset, and to a lesser extent even some good home comforts (WFH, less travel, good benefits etc) then it's worth a shot. Of course salary is important but I wouldn't focus on just that and certainly you'd never be able to compare it with a contract rate.

Otherwise yes you might be secure in what you're contracting in now, but you don't want to look back and wonder what might have been.

Comment

Your opportunity sounds really good

If you genuinely think this is worth pursuing go for it, and 8-12 months down the line if you don't like it you can always come back to contracting if you prefer this.

Good luck.

Edit: To add, you will also get back 3 or 4hrs per day which can be spent on self-learning new things or whatever you enjoy doing.
                      Last edited by HealthyProtein; 2 November 2017, 11:26.

Comment

Working...
                      X