• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can agency/client withdraw offer after offering?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can agency/client withdraw offer after offering?

Hi all

Had an interview around 10 days ago got told same day that they really liked me and would like me to start. Its a brand new project so theres been a delay in my screening/onboarding. I was sent an offer email but it did say offer subject to final client approval. I have heard from the agency and they have said that they are waiting on final client approval for the contractors who have requested a higher rate that was budgeted. The agency havent asked me to take a lower rate, they were happy to offer the original rate that I was put forward for. Surely if theres a rate issue they will just tell me? Just concerned why the delay and if they can now withdraw the offer after offering?

So much to explain to you here but to cut to the chase yes they can, for a whole host of reasons. The obvious one here is they offered it you subject to something. That something never happened so there was never actually an offer.

I don't believe a word this agent is telling you by the way. He's lining you up to accept a lower rate and pocket the rest I'd say. Make it out like you just scraped through so you don't feel you are in a position to negotiate and you'll just sign.

How long have you been contracting?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They can pull the offer right up to the point you are standing in reception on the first day and there is next to nothing you can do about it. We've seen that happen to one poor bugger on here. He could have gotten some money from IPSE+ memebrship but the bottom line is no work no pay.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        So much to explain to you here but to cut to the chase yes they can, for a whole host of reasons. The obvious one here is they offered it you subject to something. That something never happened so there was never actually an offer.

I don't believe a word this agent is telling you by the way. He's lining you up to accept a lower rate and pocket the rest I'd say. Make it out like you just scraped through so you don't feel you are in a position to negotiate and you'll just sign.

How long have you been contracting?
        Arent contracts usually offered subject to screening though? I think they are on a fixed margin as they asked me what rate id like to be put forward at initially. They put me forward for 500 but asked me if I was flexible slightly I said yes but when offered it was given at 500...they could have offered it on a lower rate but didn't. I dod ask if everything was ok with the rate and agent said yes its just taking a little longer due to the logistics and it being a new project.

Comment

Not all contracts require screen but yes it's a possibility they'll put that in. If you fail they can withdraw it. To be honest they can withdraw it when they want and you've got little come back. There is a mantra something along the lines of 'You have nothing until you've signed a contract/sitting at the clients desk/got your first invoice in/got paid'. The further to the right of those the more chance you'll see some money.

Agents are smart buggers. They hold all the cards and do this as a job so don't under estimate their ability to pull your pants down. Ask them if they are on a fixed margin or not and if possible get them to confirm by mail. He could still be telling porkies so the mail might help get to the truth. If they are on FM then it's in their interest to get max money for you. If not you've got to try get the best deal. It's hard, particularly if you are new. Look at the other thread I replied to. That guy got stuck with a 20% cut to start with.

That said reading that and your original post again it looks like my comment about him trying to play your rate could be wholly wrong and it is just down to start dates.

Whatever you do, don't stop looking for another gig. You currently have nothing and are at the mercy of the client. If they pull the project or it's delayed you'll be left out in the cold. There are plenty of contractors out there that have been given something and the project folds so more common than you might think. Keep applying and if this one comes off then happy days if not you haven't lost any time in your hunt for a gig.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 18 September 2017, 23:35.

Comment

I remeember once where I was offered a contract and the agency insisted I end my contract a few days early. I wasn't keen, but did it as it was supposed to be a sure thing as the contract was signed. On the afternoon I ended my contract, the agency called and told me the new contract was pulled. I ended up invoicing the agency for lost earnings as he had insisted I end my contract early.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by starburst89 View Post
              Just concerned why the delay and if they can now withdraw the offer after offering?
              Yes they can. You're a business, and this is just another business risk you have to bear.

Even if you have a signed contract, they can probably terminate you at any time, depending on your contract terms. If you turn up at the client site one morning and they tell you you're no longer needed you might be able to bill them for that day, but that's about it.

Welcome to contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                I remeember once where I was offered a contract and the agency insisted I end my contract a few days early. I wasn't keen, but did it as it was supposed to be a sure thing as the contract was signed. On the afternoon I ended my contract, the agency called and told me the new contract was pulled. I ended up invoicing the agency for lost earnings as he had insisted I end my contract early.
                How did that go?

Comment

It all depends on the sector and client. On-boarding took 3 months earlier this year for me. I was already in a job so no big deal.

Its a bank. Its a miracle banks manage to operate they are so inefficient. Hang on - they have a monopoly and effectively have a licence to print money.....

Comment

In addition to what other have said....
                    You say you have an offer. Is it a contract, between the agency and your LTD, with the agencies signature on? If not then it isn't an offer.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X