• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding my own Gigs- anyone willing to pay a small fee if I pass them something

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding my own Gigs- anyone willing to pay a small fee if I pass them something

Hi All,
    I'm interested in what people think.
    I put a fair bit of effort and expense into finding my own work and I invariably find a lot of stuff that is not right for me and have to pass up.
    Would anyone be interested in these at a small fee (nothing like an agency fee), I need to recoup the cost and in fact if I had this opportunity I would be able to invest a bit more and be more aggressive and probably find quite a bit. I wouldn't get involved in being a go between, just a straight agreement for a finders fee or something. Any ideas considered. You may not be aware, but fees run form 20 to 30+ percent and growing. It is financially well worth the effort.
    Just a thought. Please either discuss or PM me with your skills and fees etc and we can discuss it. Thanks

Have a look at The Project Pool

Comment

Originally posted by amon View Post
      Hi All,
      I'm interested in what people think.
      I put a fair bit of effort and expense into finding my own work and I invariably find a lot of stuff that is not right for me and have to pass up.
      Would anyone be interested in these at a small fee (nothing like an agency fee), I need to recoup the cost and in fact if I had this opportunity I would be able to invest a bit more and be more aggressive and probably find quite a bit. I wouldn't get involved in being a go between, just a straight agreement for a finders fee or something. Any ideas considered. You may not be aware, but fees run form 20 to 30+ percent and growing. It is financially well worth the effort.
      Just a thought. Please either discuss or PM me with your skills and fees etc and we can discuss it. Thanks
      Sub it out and get an agency to payroll it.

Comment

What sort of fee? Would you expect to get the fee prior to any engagement or after a period of successful engagement?

Normally fees are paid by the client not the candidate so I doubt you'll find many takers unless they don't need to pay until they've been there a week or so.
        Your idea is not without merit but has been tried before and hasn't really changed contracting.

I'd pay a fee if you found me a contract (not looking right now so don't ask).
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I'd be prepared to pay something for someone finding me a contract which I accept.

But I wouldn't pay anything for the prospect of just talking to someone about a potential role.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Isn't it illegal to charge people for finding them work? I'm sure I read something about this.

Comment

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/employees/...cies-charging/

Looks like there's an exemption for "work seekers who are companies" so might be ok for the Ltd Co contractor model.

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse17 View Post
                Isn't it illegal to charge people for finding them work? I'm sure I read something about this.
                Its the difference between a contractor and being a consultancy....

Client -> Agency -> me - all payments must come from the agency - what the agency pays is yours
                Client -> Me -> sales agent . In this case me paying a sales agent is perfectly acceptable for the work they find.

Personally I think 20% is the top whack for most sales agents but it depends on the size of the project, the profit and the work involved.

And I am looking for a sales agent or 2 for next year when I actually move towards consultancy...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Have a look at The Project Pool
                  Thanks, I'll come back to you when I've had a look

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    What sort of fee? Would you expect to get the fee prior to any engagement or after a period of successful engagement?

Normally fees are paid by the client not the candidate so I doubt you'll find many takers unless they don't need to pay until they've been there a week or so.
                    Your idea is not without merit but has been tried before and hasn't really changed contracting.

I'd pay a fee if you found me a contract (not looking right now so don't ask).
                    I haven't worked it out but it would definitely be less than half of what an agency takes. I'm mainly interested in the idea of having someone permanently finding work for myself and a few dozen others.
                    Agencies really have become despicable, but worse than their dishonesty and greed is the amount of time they waste applying to projects that don't exist, or are wrongly described and so forth.
                    Given they have no idea what their client is talking about it's hard to expect any better.

When I find my own contracts I have no trouble getting an honest contract and paid on time and always direct meaningful contact with the client.
                    My wild guess would be somewhere between between 5 and 10% of value depending whether it was a drip every month or a single payment on receipt of first payment. All suggestions considered.
                    I guess there could be a fee paid to a contractor who then refers more opportunities, e.g a PM hiring a full team.

A

Comment

Working...
                    X