• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DV Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DV Clearance

Hi,

I have been asked to apply for DV clearance at work, have SC already. However i am wondering as they will want to look at bank statements etc and property details , I have one small BTL property where I dont pay tax on will they start asking questions about this? its only recently i have paid the mortgage off on it and i guess its liable for tax.

Steve.

They'll be asking questions now Steve!

And HMRC read these forums too.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Guess? You are getting income for something and you guess you are liable for tax? Blimey.

DV is very intrusive. They are trying to find out if you can be trusted with national secrets. Evading tax isn't the best start.

You do know HMRC shares data with the land registry? Quick search of people with two land registrations and no other income stated on their returns isn't rocket science.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 30 August 2017, 20:27.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

These forums are openly viewable and easily found by Google.

You maybe hiding behind a username but unfortunately due to information you give out people can work who you are.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor1966 View Post
          Hi,

I have been asked to apply for DV clearance at work, have SC already. However i am wondering as they will want to look at bank statements etc and property details , I have one small BTL property where I dont pay tax on will they start asking questions about this? its only recently i have paid the mortgage off on it and i guess its liable for tax.

Steve.
          Good start would be declaring the income and paying the tax.

Comment

Hi,

Steve.
            Tax is due before you pay the mortgage off. i.e. it was always liable for tax.

Comment

My understanding with any sort of clearance was that as long as you're honest they don't really care. It's when you lie to cover up something like this, that they then get a bit shirty.

Answer every question truthfully. If you get stung for the taxes you haven't paid while you've owned that second property as a consequence, well you had that coming.

Comment

In light of what you have revealed here I'd suggest you decline to apply. It's quite invasive, and far wider than SC. you also risk losing SC if they find something you had previously hidden.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hi,

Steve.
                  How long have you been renting the property out for? The profit on property is basically rent minus mortgage interest, minus any other expenses (repairs, insurance etc), so you could be in for a hefty tax bill. I'd work this out if I were you.

Work out what you owe. Speak to HMRC and apologise profusely and offer to pay. In full preferably, they might agree to a repayment plan if you can't do that.

Then maybe you might be ok if you declare the whole scenario in your DV clearance application.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    My understanding with any sort of clearance was that as long as you're honest they don't really care. It's when you lie to cover up something like this, that they then get a bit shirty.

Answer every question truthfully. If you get stung for the taxes you haven't paid while you've owned that second property as a consequence, well you had that coming.
                    Absolutely but being honest about tax evasion may not stand him in very good stead.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X