• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobbing/Bullying?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northernercontractor View Post
    It all began when I challenged something and wasn't satisfied with the response I received from permie girl next to me and few other members of the team so I spoke to the director
    So you got some bulltulip response from a permie and instead of letting it wash over you and/or pretending to go along with it, you complained to their manager?

I have no doubt you're working in a dodgy place, and I expect many of us would end up in a similar situation as you there, but I have to say it sounds like you lit the fire first.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      So you got some bulltulip response from a permie and instead of letting it wash over you and/or pretending to go along with it, you complained to their manager?

I have no doubt you're working in a dodgy place, and I expect many of us would end up in a similar situation as you there, but I have to say it sounds like you lit the fire first.
      Correction. I did not complain to any manager. I had a discussion with the director as I asked him a question over Instant chat and he said hes happy to have a discussion. I didn't say I want a discussion with him, he called me to have a chat after my question. I'd rather ask the question than to have doubt in my mind. I still see nothing wrong with it - I'm only trying to fulfill my obligations as a contractor and get the work done. Best to ask rather than sit in silence, no?

Comment

You have been given good advice from experienced professionals.

And yet the heart of this seems to be that you want the manager to tell you you were right and she was wrong.

I think for anyone to help you more you need to explain exactly what the situation was as it has obviously frustrated you a lot.

Can you elaborate on the details?

Comment

Originally posted by Northernercontractor View Post
          Correction. I did not complain to any manager. I had a discussion with the director as I asked him a question over Instant chat and he said hes happy to have a discussion. I didn't say I want a discussion with him, he called me to have a chat after my question. I'd rather ask the question than to have doubt in my mind. I still see nothing wrong with it - I'm only trying to fulfill my obligations as a contractor and get the work done. Best to ask rather than sit in silence, no?
          The trick is if you are questioning information someone gave you is to involve them in the conversation if possible.

So if the permies said X while you think best practice is Y and you ask the director for clarification, you get one of the permies involved in the discussion.

Also a trick is to try and make any good idea seem due to the permie.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Arguing about how to do things in Software Engineering is such a huge waste of time.
            Was wondering if this a code issue while reading the thread.

I really hope this wasn't some dull argument about which IOC container to use, or pattern to follow, or {some other dull detail that you have a strong opinion about that is actually just one of many common ways to do something}.

Everyone loves a know-it-all coming in swinging their big coding balls/boobs all over the place telling the permies how rubbish they are.

Comment

One thing about being a contractor is that you have to leave pride and even a sense of fairness at the door. In these situations you just have to show humility and accept that the customer is right no matter how hard it is.

This is true in almost all respects when you are having your personality challenged. However, you mentioned the permie strayed into areas of questioning the quality of your work.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned here that you should remember you are a company with a professional reputation, and that this reputation is worth protecting with legal action.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                I'm surprised no one has mentioned here that you should remember you are a company with a professional reputation, and that this reputation is worth protecting with legal action.
                Becasue no one wanted to look like a dipstick?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Permies often have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to contractors but I couldn't really give a damn what they think. I'm here to provide a professional service and that's it.

At the end of the day I know I'm not stuck in their tulip hole job on turd like salaries with the false perception I'm safe for life.

it sounds like OP is in a tulip hole environment but in all honesty either suck it up or leave. Its not worth the stress if you cant laugh it off and think of your invoice.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

You should have walked out of the meeting where the permie was shouting at you. You're right, you shouldn't put up with someone shouting at you, but don't deal with someone with it by arguing your point or shouting back, that will only lead to escalation of tensions.

I've only ever been shouted at like that once, it was in a public setting (back in permie days)... I just told them that I'm not going to be shouted at, so come back when you've calmed down enough to have a sensible discussion. At first they reacted more angrily, but it was clear who was being unreasonable, so a more senior colleague told them they should do what I advised.

If I was in your situation in that meeting, I would have done more or less the same. Tell the manager you're not prepared to be shouted at, so lets arrange a time when we can talk about this sensibly and leave.

Comment

Hi,

Couldn't resist ...

So let's posit another theory. The Manager and Permie Girl have decided to get rid of the threat. So the objective here is to get you to resign or fire you in a month or so. Not immediately. The problem is you have gone to a Director, so if you disappear the following week this gives them a real problem.

So I would do the one of the following,

1. Ask for a meeting with HR, and the Manager. Tell them you have an urgent issue with your contract. When you have both in the room, stand up and lay into the manager for allowing you to be repeatedly bullied by Permie Girl. Tell the HR person you did speak to the Director as per the HR open door policy and because of this you have been effectively bullied by these two. Then let them know you are resigning - Basically going down in Flames, but properly.

2. Bring you best headphones in, dial up a good playlist and basically blank the manager and Permie girl. Don't speak to them unless spoken too, don't even say hello in the morning (I doubt they do anyway) Apply for new roles, once sorted bang in the resignation and go.

My 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                      X