• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on handling natural end to contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on handling natural end to contract

My contract ends in 2.5 weeks and I've verbally accepted another 6 months (nothing signed). Since then, I recently interviewed at another place and have been offered 6 months there. I have verbally agreed to take the latter also.

I have to decide on a time to tell my current client. Can anyone give me advice on how to handle this professionally? If I tell current client I'm not renewing, and new gig falls through, I'm left with nothing. Tell too late, and I risk burning bridges. There will be a 2 weeks background check at new gig and I'm guessing I won't be given a contract until that's done.

I have a fear that, if I inform current client of intentions, then the new gig might still be interviewing and it falls through. The one thing that makes the new gig a bit more secure is I have been 'head-hunted' from an old manager and he wants me on board, plus the interview went very well.

How would you play this?

Your current client is going to be rightly pissed off if you've agreed to an extension, then leave at the last minute without time for a proper handover.

Not the way I'd behave, but each to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by fannyadams View Post
      Your current client is going to be rightly pissed off if you've agreed to an extension, then leave at the last minute without time for a proper handover.

Not the way I'd behave, but each to their own.
      If they were so concerned about losing my services then they could have offered me the renewal much earlier. 3 weeks is cutting it fine considering I asked them at around 6 weeks so that I could get it signed and not have to look around in case they didn't offer. They dallied and I had to see what's out there to ensure I don't have 6 months on the bench.

Comment

I used to do things "professionally". Let people know what was going on and play fair.

After a sequence of incidents over the last 5 years it seems no clients have any moral principals any longer. So I now treat them the way they treat me.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
          If they were so concerned about losing my services then they could have offered me the renewal much earlier. 3 weeks is cutting it fine considering I asked them at around 6 weeks so that I could get it signed and not have to look around in case they didn't offer. They dallied and I had to see what's out there to ensure I don't have 6 months on the bench.
          No thought in your head that someone was working hard to get budget approval to retain your valued services then, and couldn't commit until they had. Or that you've had the length of the contract to work out it was going to end, so "3 weeks" isn't exactly cutting anything fine. Your real problem is not with your client, it's with your indecision.

I do despair sometimes...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

3 weeks notice is pretty good to be fair. You should have a pretty good idea of the situation to be able to make a judgement call on whether you will still be needed which should help the situation even if they are a bit slow with the actual offer
            Last edited by northernladuk; 23 August 2017, 08:56.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
              My contract ends in 2.5 weeks and I've verbally accepted another 6 months (nothing signed). Since then, I recently interviewed at another place and have been offered 6 months there. I have verbally agreed to take the latter also.

I have to decide on a time to tell my current client. Can anyone give me advice on how to handle this professionally? If I tell current client I'm not renewing, and new gig falls through, I'm left with nothing. Tell too late, and I risk burning bridges. There will be a 2 weeks background check at new gig and I'm guessing I won't be given a contract until that's done.

I have a fear that, if I inform current client of intentions, then the new gig might still be interviewing and it falls through. The one thing that makes the new gig a bit more secure is I have been 'head-hunted' from an old manager and he wants me on board, plus the interview went very well.

How would you play this?
              When you say 'nothing signed', have you been given the paperwork to sign, or not yet been given the paperwork? If the former, then you are being a bit shoddy IMO if youturn it down, but if you think it's worth burning bridge (and you probably will burn them ), then there is nothing stopping you - just handle it as best you can. If the latter (i.e. you've been given and accepted verbal reassurances but no paperwork is forthcoming), then it's easier to handle.

But ultimately, if you have a two week wait until the new contract, you are going to have to decide to take the bird in the hand (extension) or take a risk without paperwork for the new contract. You can't leave it two weeks (unless the extension paperwork is still not forthcoming...)

The risk is IMO a bigger decision than the reputation fallout.

Comment

Have it out with them and say you have been offered work elsewhere so you need to sign for the extension or you'll take the other job?

Comment

Thing is current client isn't going to be pleased if you did accept verbally. But then again look after number 1 just bear this in mind.

If the new gig falls through after you tell them then they "might" let you stay.....

I had it a while ago. New gig came up. It was dead close to home and due to family hassles I felt I had to take it. Current client were good about it apart from a new manager who'd been brought it. The new place were aware that I was in contract and were willing to wait (or so I thought). So I got end date sorted. Phoned agency (who I'd kept in touch with) who then told me they'd got someone else in (even thought they'd offered me). Apparently, some manager at new client obviously thought he was bertie big bollox and had made offers to a few people and then just picked one who could start soonest. Shocking way to behave.

So I wanted to stay. Unfortunately, my cards were marked with new manager. I did stay a few more months (on one month extensions) but it was obvious I was out the door soon. Worked out well because of PS IR35 anyway.

A cautionary tale! If current client is good, make sure its all tied up with new clients......
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Thing is as well current client thinks it sorted now verbally and may well not place much store in the written version. Sort "word is my bond" sort of thing.

One client I worked out at used to argue that I needed to give one months notice of leaving either way. i.e. even if contract ended. WTF! They'd leave contract renewal until last minute because they thought contractors couldn't not renew.

They had a bit of shock one day. One of the guys who had kept moaning about this, left at the end of his contract and was never seen again. Client was not happy - he was pretty key - but, to be fair, he'd warned them a few times. Client tried to force him to come back to do a handover and even tried legal route I understand (and was probably told within 5 mins but their legal advisors). They were a good client to me (apart from that) but it was quite funny to watch to be honest.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X