• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hsbc - cull starts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    I dumped the IB's back in the summer of 2014, shortly after the second rate cut in a year. Do they actually think people will take 2 hits? That was at Barclays in Canary Wharf btw. I'm still down CW 2 days a week and bumped into the manger who worked on the project. He's still at Barclays but looked ill - physically drained and a broken man. That reinforced my decision to stay away from that type of client. Whenever I walk past their 10 South Colonnade offices, the only traffic in and out is bobs.
    You can add yourself to a number who only worked with them once and will never work with BarCap again.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      You can add yourself to a number who only worked with them once and will never work with BarCap again.

That was the second stint with them. The first was 2010 and lasted 6 months until they canned the project.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
        I dumped the IB's back in the summer of 2014, shortly after the second rate cut in a year. Do they actually think people will take 2 hits? That was at Barclays in Canary Wharf btw. I'm still down CW 2 days a week and bumped into the manger who worked on the project. He's still at Barclays but looked ill - physically drained and a broken man. That reinforced my decision to stay away from that type of client. Whenever I walk past their 10 South Colonnade offices, the only traffic in and out is bobs.
        Bobs might be UK government staff Barclays are leasing some of this building to UK PLC apparently to save a massive wait for it..........£35M a year! I bet it cost almost as much to relocate the staff or lay them off. Civil servants move in with bankers at Barclays' Canary Wharf hub

When I worked @ Barcap every Monday morning the queue for new hires was at least 100 strong in that building alone.

Now I hear from former colleagues everyone is scared about job security as so many have already been laid off & lots of Back Office roles are placed in Eastern Europe or India.

Used to be about 13,000 staff @ 10 but I think this has shrunk dramatically. No way they relocate all existing staff to the other existing CW campus buildings either nowhere near enough room unless the Trading Floor building has shrunk dramatically headcount wise. When they say no jobs will be lost I think they mean overall wise not no UK jobs will be lost!!

Comment

Since I first dealt with Barcap in 1996 they have had a very high staff turnover and it never seems to change.

Comment

got lined up for an interview with a pimp for them the other week I guess I'm not getting that interview then

Sorry for there rest of you that got walked but at least its the summer...

Comment

HSBC is the worst for the hire and fire attitude, my project last year got canned after 3 months only, my friend started in a different area after I left, and his project got canned after 2 months, then lucky for him he found another project to go to... but I guess now he must be affected by the new cuts !!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
                HSBC is the worst for the hire and fire attitude, my project last year got canned after 3 months only, my friend started in a different area after I left, and his project got canned after 2 months, then lucky for him he found another project to go to... but I guess now he must be affected by the new cuts !!
                I know people who have been at HSBC for years.

Comment

Is this a daily mail article?

I'm not going into specifics, but there is a transition of one of the largest programmes of work in any bank into BAU. It's not out of the blue - if you have been reading your emails, going to town halls, reading the intranet site, you would know it's been coming for the last year.

We are interim workers, not perms. If you cannot spot something like this coming after all of the comms you shouldn't work this way.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                    Is this a daily mail article?

I'm not going into specifics, but there is a transition of one of the largest programmes of work in any bank into BAU. It's not out of the blue - if you have been reading your emails, going to town halls, reading the intranet site, you would know it's been coming for the last year.

We are interim workers, not perms. If you cannot spot something like this coming after all of the comms you shouldn't work this way.
                    If you read the comms, you should not be an interim worker.

And if you expect a permanent job, become a permie. Until you get outsourced...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      If you read the comms, you should not be an interim worker.
                      Are you trolling?

If you choose to ignore very clear communication from the client that there is a significant shift in the business need for interim resources, and then get surprised enough to create a "hsbc - cull starts" thread a year later, you're a complete idiot in my book. Thats just me, maybe I'm just a rubbish contractor.

Comment

Working...
                      X