• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hsbc - cull starts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
    Why is everyone getting so hot and bothered!?!

Business is business - contractors get hired and then get let go. In the IB arena, yes you need to have your big boy boots on as its no walk in the park...

We all know this (and IB renumerates us VERY well for it), whats the issue?
    The possibility that the next cut could be huge and you are left against hundreds others looking for a new role in your field all at similar pay/skills.

Comment

Originally posted by shamoon View Post
      The possibility that the next cut could be huge and you are left against hundreds others looking for a new role in your field all at similar pay/skills.
      If it worries you, become a permie.

Though, to be fair, permie at IB is hardly safe....

Comment

RBS at it as well now!
        Unite union claims RBS plans 900 IT job cuts - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
          That's not news. The movement of RBS IT's department from the UK to India has been on going for years. Even this set of redundancies have been known about for ages..
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            That's not news. The movement of RBS IT's department from the UK to India has been on going for years. Even this set of redundancies have been known about for ages..
            Indeed, could've sworn I'd seen a headline like that if not 2015 then 2016. It sticks in my head as I thought a guy I'd previously worked with was there and I contacted him, but he wasn't, it was a different bank

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              If it worries you, become a permie.

Though, to be fair, permie at IB is hardly safe....

Agreed. Permiedom means a better safety net, while contracting (in general) means first out of the door. Yes there are exceptions, but that is how it works in general.

Higher rates in IB, no denying that, but it comes with much higher risk and work rates. C'est la vie.

Comment

Agreed. Permiedom means a better safety net, while contracting (in general) means first out of the door. Yes there are exceptions, but that is how it works in general.

Higher rates in IB, no denying that, but it comes with much higher risk and work rates. C'est la vie.
                Agreed. Plus IB involves commuting. You see the worst side of people. Well 2nd worst. The worst side is people you divorce....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Agreed. Plus IB involves commuting. You see the worst side of people. Well 2nd worst. The worst side is people you divorce....
                  If I got a penny for everytime someone in this forum moaned about IB contractor culls, I would be a very rich man.

Well, I would have £2.43 which will be enough money for me to buy half a cup of coffee in the cantine of an IB office

Comment

If I got a penny for everytime someone in this forum moaned about IB contractor culls, I would be a very rich man.
                    IB is only a small part of HSBC in terms of contractors. It has large amounts of commercial, retail and private banking, in myriad countries.
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                      IB is only a small part of HSBC in terms of contractors. It has large amounts of commercial, retail and private banking, in myriad countries.
                      Ok fine Cirrus.

Lets update it to

"If I got a penny for everytime someone in this forum moaned about big bank contractor culls, I would be a very rich man"

and so on. You know what I meant.

Culls happened before 2008 and (if we are all honest) that much more often since then.

Shame though, I think I know where the forum is coming from:

Instead of knee jerk culls, what people in the forum are asking for is "controlled" culls. ie large programme has completed successfully, natural next step is contractor being let go and permies moving on to their next role. and so on again.

Comment

Working...
                      X