• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handling 'guidance' re WFH

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    How would you handle this?

I understand the IR35 issue with me having direction & control, including my normal place of work etc. And I also understand that in practice I have to be on client site most days.

The project manager is telling all contractors that they can WFH one day a week and whilst I don't have an issue with where I work, in trying to point out that she can't dictate that to all contractors it's starting to get blown all out of proportion.

I don't want to bang a drum that makes me out to be a trouble causer, but at the same time if there ever was an investigation on any of us and it was found that we has all been given this instruction then we'd potentially all be seen as disguised employees and there would be tax implications for all contractors and the client and any agencies.
    You've got this all wrong. D&C has very little to do with where you work and it's a very minor IR35 flag at best. Adhering to clients requirements which includes places and time is common and is part of providing a good service. In some places you have no choice. It doesn't make you a permie, it makes you a good supplier. Coming in and saying you want totally different requirements just because you are a contractor is a bit dumb.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You've got this all wrong. D&C has very little to do with where you work and it's a very minor IR35 flag at best. Adhering to clients requirements which includes places and time is common and is part of providing a good service. In some places you have no choice. It doesn't make you a permie, it makes you a good supplier. Coming in and saying you want totally different requirements just because you are a contractor is a bit dumb.

I get that. And at no point am I suggesting that my attitude is "I'm working at home because I want to". Quite the opposite. I don't have any issue, practically, with working every day in the office or every day at home. I'm comfortable with that. The bit I'm not is that it seems to just be dictated down to us all for no good reason. The WFH policy of one day a week for everyone, for example, bears no relation to the type of work we have to do.

It's one of lots of things that are making me very wary of this contract from an IR35 pov.

Comment

Many clients are now sizing there offices on 7 desks to 10 people etc so WFH is essential their plans to save money so could be that.

This particular item has little to no bearing on IR35 so don't worry.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
          How would you handle this?

I understand the IR35 issue with me having direction & control, including my normal place of work etc. And I also understand that in practice I have to be on client site most days.

The project manager is telling all contractors that they can WFH one day a week and whilst I don't have an issue with where I work, in trying to point out that she can't dictate that to all contractors it's starting to get blown all out of proportion.

I don't want to bang a drum that makes me out to be a trouble causer, but at the same time if there ever was an investigation on any of us and it was found that we has all been given this instruction then we'd potentially all be seen as disguised employees and there would be tax implications for all contractors and the client and any agencies.

Would you just ignore it and do what you feel is right? Would you continue to explain the rights and wrongs of it all?

Really?? What kind of a businessman are you? Is this a battle worth fighting? Get a life. Watch telly on the WFH day and keep invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
            Really?? What kind of a businessman are you? Is this a battle worth fighting? Get a life. Watch telly on the WFH day and keep invoicing.
            Yep i can recommend Bargain Hunt and Cash in the Attic before lunch with a bit of Judge Rinder in the afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              Yep i can recommend Bargain Hunt and Cash in the Attic before lunch with a bit of Judge Rinder in the afternoon
              Why not use your Freeview/FreeSat and watch Judge Judy in the morning instead?
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X