• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

torn between two agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Reading the Title of this thread I thought it was something to do with spit-roasting! Bad enough shafting you on rate!
    You are one sick (old) puppy.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kingmob View Post
      I have been submitted to the same role by two agents at different rates and have been selected for interview

according to second agent its no problem, "we have been authorised by client to offer up to first agents rate plus 30%, leave it, don't speak to other agency again"

first agent submitted me on 11th, second yesterday. There is the question as to how the client accepted the second submission rather than telling agent, "thanks but we have already got Km's cv"

if first agent is right then the offer is what the client can afford.

Second agency is known to me, always pay on time, no dramas

until now...
      Ignore any agency BS get the role first as the agency will never ever want to upset the end client. I got threatened with legal action last year after an agent submitted my CV went on holiday for over 2 weeks then found out on my return I was already onsite (via another agency) with a well known banking client as they could not wait 2 weeks for agent boy to return from his luxury holiday! The other agency told me to ignore their legal threats as they would never want to upset the end client. I did and got a few months work out of the role with no dramas then the other agency got the renewal for someone else as they were promised that in return for not making any waves over me but as they could not fill the role it went to someone junior on a vastly reduced salary!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Let the client choose if and when you get the offer.

That way if any of the agents play up it is the client's choice.
        This is what I did. Slightly different cause in that the first agency kept messing me about, sent me the wrong job spec, didn't reply to my messages after I resubmitted a revised CV etc. Gave up and then applied for a very similar looking role with another agency. Got an interview with the 2nd agency for what turned out to be the same role at which point, first agency contacted me saying the client wanted to interview me.

The recruiting manager was a good guy and he had sympathy with me so he got the HR guy to sort it after I said I preferred the 2nd agency.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          When this happened to me the agents got in a bun fight and the client ended up cancelling my interview rather than deal with them. Bad position to be in. Try and sort it quick but good luck.
          Happened to me too. Twice. That's why I refuse to speak to two well-known agencies.
          You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            When this happened to me the agents got in a bun fight and the client ended up cancelling my interview rather than deal with them. Bad position to be in. Try and sort it quick but good luck.
            The reason why, when an agent ask me to confirm to allow them to represent me exclusively, I always confirm with "... only if you do present me to your client, otherwise I reserve the right to be represented otherwise."

In a decent number of cases (only in the UK though), the agent already have their favourite candidate, but want others to commit them to allow the agency to "represent" (which they won't) them just to get rid of as much of the competition as possible. Their favourite candidate is possibly asking for a low rate, and with little competition the agency can ask for a much higher rate, thereby obtaining a far higher margin. Win.

Agencies in the UK typically take a 20% margin (except for in the public sector, where their margin is set at 12% under the Crapita, IR35-caught CL1 contract), of which the recruiter him/herself usually receive 1/4 of the margin as his/her sales commission on top of the basic living wage.

In some other countries the recruiter instead get a decent basic wage, with a bonus based on customer satisfaction, and the agency only charging a 10-12% margin.
            Last edited by m0n1k3r; 26 April 2017, 00:02.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
              Happened to me too. Twice. That's why I refuse to speak to two well-known agencies.
              Hays? Harvey Nash?

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
                The reason why, when an agent ask me to confirm to allow them to represent me exclusively, I always confirm with "... only if you do present me to your client, otherwise I reserve the right to be represented otherwise."

In a decent number of cases (only in the UK though), the agent already have their favourite candidate, but want others to commit them to allow the agency to "represent" (which they won't) them just to get rid of as much of the competition as possible. Their favourite candidate is possibly asking for a low rate, and with little competition the agency can ask for a much higher rate, thereby obtaining a far higher margin. Win.
                This. I make a similar statement as well when they start asking about exclusivity.

That being said, I'm not sure how much it would actually help if the bun fight starts. I doubt clients
                get as far as being presented evidence of the exclusivity. First sign of this, they'll dump you.

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
                  Hays? Harvey Nash?
                  I haven't dealt with Hays, so can't comment. :-)
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
                    I haven't dealt with Hays, so can't comment. :-)
                    I have been using them for years, no problems, prompt payment/timesheet system etc etc

so when they offered £200 a week more i was weak!

Comment

Working...
                    X