• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract prolonging tacticts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera? What they use a camera spying on everyone?

In terms of internet, be surprised they're not using some sort of security/proxy software anyway so they could get a report easily enough.

In my experience, no-one bothers too much to check this and its only used when clients employees are suspected of something dodgy.

BTW - I had one client who used to check how long you took in the bog. Really!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

In terms of internet, be surprised they're not using some sort of security/proxy software anyway so they could get a report easily enough.

In my experience, no-one bothers too much to check this and its only used when clients employees are suspected of something dodgy.

When I was an employee there was a manager with no direct reports.

He use to log when people came in and left. I guess he couldn't understand why he was promoted but not given anyone to work under him...
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        When I was an employee there was a manager with no direct reports.

He use to log when people came in and left. I guess he couldn't understand why he was promoted but not given anyone to work under him...
        The Dilbert Principle in action ?

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
          The Dilbert Principle in action ?
          which?

Comment

Which Dilbert Principle ?

Being promoted out of harms way.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
              Mr NLUK, read again the title, it should tell you what I'm after
              Option leave the gig is not really a valid option because
              A) I need cash
              B) I need lenghtly contracts in my CV.
              C) They have other 6months proj coming after this. And I want to pocket their both budgets.

Now how do I NOT get sacked for browsing, I'd be interested if anyone had stories about wasting time at clients or simply it doesn't commonly happen and clients are OK with it as long as deliverables are ..delivered?
              With your own cashmoney £££££$$$$, why not bring in own your 4G enabled iPad / Surface 4 / tablet / hybrid computer into work? Browse on that.

Comment

Place sounds grim but appreciate need to keep the tills ringing.
                A tactic I have employed a few times now is to sit down with the boss and tell them you don't have enough work or that you have finished what has been requested. State you are happy to get stuck into anything else, even if it's not directly related to the job you were hired for e.g. requirements gathering, advising in other areas, helping perms.
                This has:
                - Never resulted in a contract finishing early and usually meant renewals.
                - Never resulted in more than a couple of extra bits of work, which are easily dispatched.

Boss thinks you are brilliant, all permies say they are busy and can never do anything additional.
                Once you have had that chat, your conscience is clear to come and go at flexible times, browse etc. If you get pulled up, mention the chat, say you are still under utilised.
                It is a right pain to get a new contract authorised by management, MUCH easier to keep an existing hire. Even if you are doing half of a job, who is going to do that half if you get canned ? Clue - it won't be the 'too busy' permies. It's not the managers own cash, they won't be bothered.

Appreciate this is a risky one but it has worked a treat for me.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Does the Service Desk ticketing software track you like Call Centre systems?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Its similar apart from there is ankle tag involved.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      Nah, their supervisor is a much more efficient method.

Toilet monitoring: UK employer logs time taken on toilet breaks
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X