• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do you want to become an I.T. contractor? What are your hopes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    I've set myself a target - 7 figures by the end of 2019 or I'm migrating to Sydney, buy a boat and live easy life without rat race.
    I'm not doing London anymore as it wouldnt speed up the plan A.
    You would need to work with a larger company before attempting to come to London, that's the mistake you made before .

Notice I have ignored the fantasy at the beginning of your post
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      You would need to work with a larger company before attempting to come to London, that's the mistake you made before .

£12,345.67 is a seven figure number.

But yeah, seven figure number in 2-3 years? Doing what? In fact, I'm not sure I want to know.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Fantasy or not, I'm working hard towards it as we speak

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

But yeah, seven figure number in 2-3 years? Doing what? In fact, I'm not sure I want to know.
          Markets. That's like the only way, at least for me. Going where to money is...

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

It's a dogs life....

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              FTFY
              But I love you really..

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                In reality, do you change client every 6 months? Wouldn't such shortish term gigs put off a client who has a large backlog of work?

I also contract for the flexibility but of late my stints are 1.5+ years. Not complaining mind.
                No, my gigs do vary in length, and I've happily taken an extension having already done 6 months with a client, however, I do tend to do gigs that are for projects that are either small, or are already some way down the road and the client realises they've under resourced so need extra bodies for some (relatively short) length of time.

I never say never, and external factors like the market being bad can sway this of course, however, I generally like to only stay at a client for 12-18 months max. (could be 1 x 12 month gig or 1 x 6 month + 1 x 6 month extension etc.). Don't get me wrong, I'll happily go back to the same client after some time away, but I'm always looking for something new to give me that variety. I have turned down extensions having already spent 12 months with the client without having another gig lined up as I'd rather take a little time out and find something else entirely different.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                  Markets. That's like the only way, at least for me. Going where to money is...
                  The most reliable way to use the markets to get a 7 figure sum - is to start with a 9 figure sum.
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                    The most reliable way to use the markets to get a 7 figure sum - is to start with a 9 figure sum.
                    I hear you. If i'll get wiped (and so far It's been very profitable last year) , Sydney that is.
                    If i get the same % value as last year I'm there. But things are getting trickier as I'm diversifying more , as sums are getting bigger and scarier.
                    Wish me good luck I guess.
                    Last edited by diseasex; 27 February 2017, 16:40.

Comment

Sydney and other parts of Oz are very expensive compared to 10 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X