• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do you want to become an I.T. contractor? What are your hopes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    I usually, after initial euphory , have crisis after 3 months, which then carries on till I leave.
    With larger projects, systems / sub systems though, 3 months is nothing in achieving understanding and therefore making a real difference?

There's a massive difference working for medium size companies and mega blue chips. I'm guessing you mainly do work for the former?
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Why do you want to become an I.T. contractor? What are your hopes?

1) money
      2) money
      3) money
      Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 28 February 2017, 07:24.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

No point telling newbies they shouldn't go contracting just for the money now. Lol
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          With larger projects, systems / sub systems though, 3 months is nothing in achieving understanding and therefore making a real difference?

There's a massive difference working for medium size companies and mega blue chips. I'm guessing you mainly do work for the former?
          I usually worked with medium size companies. The larger system the worse, because I would be cursing more and have less freedom in implementing solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            No point telling newbies they shouldn't go contracting just for the money now. Lol
            The money is just compensation for us to have to go through the hassle of not having to do PDs and appraisals.

It's a tough lifestyle, but real contractors are mentally strong enough to do it.

Plenty of people couldn't. Without the right poking from their line managers, permies would just spend all day on the internet rather than doing anything productive....

oh, wait...
            Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
              I usually worked with medium size companies. The larger system the worse, because I would be cursing more and have less freedom in implementing solutions.
              That's what will happen if you want the London work you have discussed before, well at least at the start.

However, working with fairly strict governance isn't always a problem and that contractor meter is always running
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                In reality, do you change client every 6 months? Wouldn't such shortish term gigs put off a client who has a large backlog of work?
                Depends on the client.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Depends on the client.
                  And what work needed to actually be done
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Most folk are wage slaves one pay cheque away from going under, they have no float to make the leap and too much fear to risk the uncertainty.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      That's what will happen if you want the London work you have discussed before, well at least at the start.

However, working with fairly strict governance isn't always a problem and that contractor meter is always running
                      I've set myself a target - 7 figures by the end of 2019 or I'm migrating to Sydney, buy a boat and live easy life without rat race.
                      I'm not doing London anymore as it wouldnt speed up the plan A.

Comment

Working...
                      X