• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract options for consultancy work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why can't you just list the deliverables expected from this piece of work? If it is just a bum on a seat not knowing what your deliverables are and you just do what the client wants then all this is a bit hypothetical. The role and its working practices are inside
    The deliverables will subtly change for each engagement.

So the first piece of work could be "Deliver platform upgrade for client A. 10 days PS".
    The next work stream "install new infrastructure and migrate data and services from legacy platform. 30 days PS".

I'd prefer not to have a different schedule of work for each engagement (instead just a PO), but a generic schedule that is included with the initial contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
      The deliverables will subtly change for each engagement.

So the first piece of work could be "Deliver platform upgrade for client A. 10 days PS".
      The next work stream "install new infrastructure and migrate data and services from legacy platform. 30 days PS".

I'd prefer not to have a different schedule of work for each engagement (instead just a PO), but a generic schedule that is included with the initial contract.
      Sounds more like D&C bum on seat stuff to me that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Sounds more like D&C bum on seat stuff to me that.
        I'd disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
          I'd disagree.
          I'm sure you do. I am a bit lost on what you are trying to offer but if you have an overarching contract per client with no end date, billing T&M, set work number of days doing any task the client wants you are going to have a hard time convincing HMRC you are not just a disguised permie. They have contracts with no end date and are told what to do. Direction and Control are one of the pillars of your IR35 defense. I don't quite understand how your term 'engagement' works. If you have an overarching contract then that is your engagement, the rest is just work you are told to do. Needs careful wording.

Having multiple clients was good for the now defunct BET's but IR35 is on a contract by contract basis.

If you are wanting to be a supplier on a call off basis I can't help think you don't want a standard PSC contract. You need a different one to differentiate yourself from us. Fixed price/call off or something that doesn't look like you just come in and get told what to do. I'm just a BoS so I can't help but so far there are a couple of gotcha's I think you need to be wary of.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

An over-arching contract with a schedule for each piece of work is the right way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
              An over-arching contract with a schedule for each piece of work is the right way forward.
              Yep, agree.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                +2 Agree
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

+3

Comment

+4, but potentially look at fixed price quoting for each deliverable to get you more outside IR35 than D&C would suggest you are.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      +4, but potentially look at fixed price quoting for each deliverable to get you more outside IR35 than D&C would suggest you are.
                      If he puts the below level of detail in an an overarching contract he should be more than covered, IMO.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X