• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are the client/agent taking the micky?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Yeah maybe I was being a bit flippant there my point was yes work hard, deliver, don't take the p!ss but also don't work 12 hours a day to lick the MD's ar$e while he pats you on the head, chanting 'good boy', telling you you're his favourite and whispering sweet nothings about extension promises in your ear
    I sympathise with the situation the OP is in. However as the experienced minds here have said, i would also advise that you move on.
    I think mostly for IR35 purposes as well you shouldn't expect to have work at the end of your contract so the promise from the MD might mean you were bordering on being inside. At least you can prove that there was financial risk to your company now
    Last edited by TNA57; 20 December 2016, 19:16. Reason: Response is for OP not STJ

Comment

Originally posted by TNA57 View Post
      I think mostly for IR35 purposes as well you shouldn't expect to have work at the end of your contract so the promise from the MD might mean you were bordering on being inside.
      I don't see that the work was promised. You could argue it was just a forecast of what might potentially be on the table. We all do that. Look at the work we've been given and make a call as to whether we are done at the end of this gig or there is potential for more. I don't think a discussion about this blows your MoO.

At least you can prove that there was financial risk to your company now
      Erm nope. This is business risk, not financial risk. Financial risk is more about you and cash. There are two good examples here.

IR35: Financial Risk - Contractor Weekly
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the example
        There is always a fine line which could easily be crossed with IR35 but not to diverge from the post, i believe the bottom line for OP is to move on.
        And someone once told me - do the minimum to get you through don't try to do your best to impress client.
        I on the other hand try to carry out work as smart as i can afterall to be successful in my field one has to be lazy - a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by TNA57 View Post
          Thanks for the example
          You are welcome.
          There is always a fine line which could easily be crossed with IR35 but not to diverge from the post,
          Erm. Yes and no. There are the three main pillars, getting your contract right and having the right working practices. The rest are just flags but that's no reason to ignore them.
          i believe the bottom line for OP is to move on.
          Totally
          And someone once told me - do the minimum to get you through don't try to do your best to impress client.
          I on the other hand try to carry out work as smart as i can afterall to be successful in my field one has to be lazy - a bit!
          I think that's rubbish advice and you do right to do what suits you.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So you impressed the Project Manager with your hard work and long hours, painful lesson.

I work hard, especially at the start of a contract, as others have said, but long hours should always only be for exceptional circumstances.

Otherwise it becomes the norm, and you are diluting your rate. Seen it happen with permies more though. Chasing the next promotion, pay rise, bonus. Each to their own, but I've lost count of the number of times I've seen the 'long hours permies' get made redundant.

Comment

Bit annoying to happen on the run up to Christmas but charge to the end of the week and explore new opportunities in the new year.

Do what you need to do for the handover but no more.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                So you impressed the Project Manager with your hard work and long hours, painful lesson.

I work hard, especially at the start of a contract, as others have said, but long hours should always only be for exceptional circumstances.

Otherwise it becomes the norm, and you are diluting your rate. Seen it happen with permies more though. Chasing the next promotion, pay rise, bonus. Each to their own, but I've lost count of the number of times I've seen the 'long hours permies' get made redundant.
                If you are doing long hours then you can't manage your work load.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Again

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Two words, move on.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

^ Or they burnout and have to go off on sick..

Comment

move on mate....

shake hands, tell them you've really enjoyed working with them and hope to get an opportunity again in the future.....

just don't do all the extra hours next time.....

Comment

Working...
                      X