• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End client refusing to authorise final timesheet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Again.. Reasonable?? Your agents certainly like keeping it unclear don't they.

Did you have the contract checked? I'd be surprised if these meaningless terms weren't picked up. I would have queried it. The idea of the contract is to make these things clear. Not make a mess of any situation.
    Unfortunately some terms will be defined with the word "reasonable" even if you do get it properly reviewed.

In this case if the OP had been sensible and got evidence e.g. got it agreed in writing that they were working remotely, as the agent is also losing money "reasonable" means they will in turn threaten the client with legal action.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Unfortunately some terms will be defined with the word "reasonable" even if you do get it properly reviewed.

In this case if the OP had been sensible and got evidence e.g. got it agreed in writing that they were working remotely, as the agent is also losing money "reasonable" means they will in turn threaten the client with legal action.
      If you've got a case then just threatening them isn't reasonable IMO. Reasonable is getting the money rightly owed. Horrible word when trying to do business that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you've got a case then just threatening them isn't reasonable IMO. Reasonable is getting the money rightly owed. Horrible word when trying to do business that.
        many years ago I did some work with CA (before the CEO was banged up for fraud). We were writing an SLA for a client. We were going to put 'best endeavours' in a clause about supporting some Windows NT 3.5 workstations that were out of MS support.
        CA lawyers refused as they said that 'best' implies that you could bankrupt yourself fixing something. So the word used was 'reasonable'. It was designed to be mealy-mouthed and unenforceable.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You have to "threaten" before you take legal action. Obviously you "request" first that you are paid in the normal way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            many years ago I did some work with CA (before the CEO was banged up for fraud). We were writing an SLA for a client. We were going to put 'best endeavours' in a clause about supporting some Windows NT 3.5 workstations that were out of MS support.
            CA lawyers refused as they said that 'best' implies that you could bankrupt yourself fixing something. So the word used was 'reasonable'. It was designed to be mealy-mouthed and unenforceable.
            Absolutely. I take that out everytime I see it but 'reasonable' is the standard fall back which opens a different can of worms.

Comment

Absolutely. I take that out everytime I see it but 'reasonable' is the standard fall back which opens a different can of worms.
              "Reasonable" is finally determined by the judge.

Companies not run by complete crooks ensure things are concluded before a judge rules as they have a reputation to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                "Reasonable" is finally determined by the judge.

Companies not run by complete crooks ensure things are concluded before a judge rules as they have a reputation to maintain.
                Which is really useful for the OP.

Comment

Working...
                X