• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I have to work my notice period as a contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Yeah but as MMM says I've never seen this in all my years, most people are not dicks, if they've binned you cause of budget work etc they will probably let you go early, if not your new client will probably wait a bit, the chances of both the old and new clients being dicks are remote (Unless your name is 'Big Red Plymouth' or you have the same luck in life as he does )

I feel you make your own "luck" when having honest conversations very early on.
    Come across as a seasoned professional who knows the score and you will rarely be messed about.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      I feel you make your own "luck" when having honest conversations very early on.
      Come across as a seasoned professional who knows the score and you will rarely be messed about.
      Exactly, you're not at school trying to get out of Rugby on a cold rainy day with a forged note from your Mum saying you can't take part because you have a tummy ache

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        OK answer the question for me please mr NLUK...

Your in the same situation.

You're upfront with current client they say no way you're not leaving early.

So you go to new client and they say no way start then or its off.

So you tell new client about MOO and they say never heard of it not happening.

You're about to lose this new gig. What do you do next?
        I don't throw a bloody sickie which benefits absolutely no one and just makes you look like a dick. Why can you not get that through you thick skull? Look at the number of people that pull you up about it. Does that not tell you something?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          OK answer the question for me please mr NLUK...

Your in the same situation.

You're upfront with current client they say no way you're not leaving early.

So you go to new client and they say no way start then or its off.

So you tell new client about MOO and they say never heard of it not happening.

You're about to lose this new gig. What do you do next?
          You are an adult so if the old client says you can't leave early you just tell them straight you are leaving.

If they are rude you tell them this is why you are leaving then pick up your stuff and go straight away.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Question to PC. How exactly do you think throwing a sickie makes any difference whatsoever, bar make you look unprofessional.

Its a permie term related to the fact they have a number of days they can be off and get paid. We turn up and get paid, we dont and we dont get paid.

How does it make a difference to us?
            Last edited by northernladuk; 18 November 2016, 12:03.

Comment

There is also very little point wafting MoO at a client either bearing a in mind most of us dont understand it properly anyway. We mix up MoO with the T&M way we work.

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
                Is the MOO argument even that legitimate? We all assume it means that on any given day the client isn't obliged to offer work nor are we obliged to accept,
                We dont all assume that. Those that dont understand it think that.

but isn't it more likely that it actually applies to work outside your agreed schedule? i.e. client brings you in to work on project X, you accept it and are thus obliged to work on project X. They can't approach you to do any other tasks and you aren't obliged to accept if they do - isn't *that* what MOO is? Versus a permie who basically has to do whatever tasks are given to them.
                Correct.

Not turning up casue you want hols is more about us being paid by the day on a T&M basis and you being available for work.
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 12 October 2018, 21:24.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Question to PC. How exactly do you think throwing a sickie makes any difference whatsoever, bar make you look unprofessional.

Its a permie term related to the fact they have a number of days they can be off and get paid. We turn up and get paid, we dont and we dont get paid.

How does it make a difference to us?
                  Can I answer that please?

Contractors also get ill. Its a way of avoiding any unpleasantness. Ideally if the gig is canned, no-one will care when you leave. Some clients get upset.

Why potentially rock the boat?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Why potentially rock the boat?
                    Cause lying never does that.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Contractors also get ill.
                      Not that many and not that often. I've not had a single day ill. I'll work from home if really bad.

And if you've been at a client for months with no illness, and are suddenly very poorly 2 weeks before the end and never come back in I can guarantee no signed time sheets and the client will assume you're having a laugh at their expense. Just be honest.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X