• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do I have to work my notice period as a contractor?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Maybe. If all of the reasonable attempts fail you could just say, look end of Im not coming in so lump it.

BUT its likely to annoy the client more than a little white lie where they suspect you're probably lying.
    Is it bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I have no issue with people disagreeing with me....
    But where is the point that nearly everyone does and a reality check is needed to change your attitude to something better that has exactly the same end but isn't quite so ridiculous?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's not just me PC, and it's not the first time.... Open your eyes.
    I have no issue with people disagreeing with me....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    But it's a pointless lie.
    Maybe. If all of the reasonable attempts fail you could just say, look end of Im not coming in so lump it.

BUT its likely to annoy the client more than a little white lie where they suspect you're probably lying.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Not that many and not that often. I've not had a single day ill. I'll work from home if really bad.

And if you've been at a client for months with no illness, and are suddenly very poorly 2 weeks before the end and never come back in I can guarantee no signed time sheets and the client will assume you're having a laugh at their expense. Just be honest.
    As I said to NLUK, so current client says no way are you leaving early, new place says no you've got to start that date. Current client says moo whats that no you're staying.

What do you do? Cough up the new gig and sit on the bench for months because you don;t want to slightly irritate your soon-to-be previous client?

I never once said do this straight off the bat but I'd do it as a last resort.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    EXACTLY. Chances are client will roll his eyes, shrug and say flipping contractor phoned in sick for last week. Oh well we dont have to pay him now. Forgotten about in 10 minutes.
    But it's a pointless lie.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Can I answer that please?

Contractors also get ill. Its a way of avoiding any unpleasantness. Ideally if the gig is canned, no-one will care when you leave. Some clients get upset.

Why potentially rock the boat?
    EXACTLY. Chances are client will roll his eyes, shrug and say flipping contractor phoned in sick for last week. Oh well we dont have to pay him now. Forgotten about in 10 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    NLUK - Yet you seem to think thowing abuse at people who disagree with you makes you look fine??? Hey ho.
    It's not just me PC, and it's not the first time.... Open your eyes.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I don't throw a bloody sickie which benefits absolutely no one and just makes you look like a dick. Why can you not get that through you thick skull? Look at the number of people that pull you up about it. Does that not tell you something?
    NLUK - Yet you seem to think thowing abuse at people who disagree with you makes you look fine??? Hey ho.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

Contractors also get ill.
    Not that many and not that often. I've not had a single day ill. I'll work from home if really bad.

And if you've been at a client for months with no illness, and are suddenly very poorly 2 weeks before the end and never come back in I can guarantee no signed time sheets and the client will assume you're having a laugh at their expense. Just be honest.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Cause lying never does that.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Question to PC. How exactly do you think throwing a sickie makes any difference whatsoever, bar make you look unprofessional.

Its a permie term related to the fact they have a number of days they can be off and get paid. We turn up and get paid, we dont and we dont get paid.

How does it make a difference to us?
    Can I answer that please?

Contractors also get ill. Its a way of avoiding any unpleasantness. Ideally if the gig is canned, no-one will care when you leave. Some clients get upset.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Willapp View Post
    Is the MOO argument even that legitimate? We all assume it means that on any given day the client isn't obliged to offer work nor are we obliged to accept,
    We dont all assume that. Those that dont understand it think that.

but isn't it more likely that it actually applies to work outside your agreed schedule? i.e. client brings you in to work on project X, you accept it and are thus obliged to work on project X. They can't approach you to do any other tasks and you aren't obliged to accept if they do - isn't *that* what MOO is? Versus a permie who basically has to do whatever tasks are given to them.
    Correct.

Not turning up casue you want hols is more about us being paid by the day on a T&M basis and you being available for work.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 12 October 2018, 21:24.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    There is also very little point wafting MoO at a client either bearing a in mind most of us dont understand it properly anyway. We mix up MoO with the T&M way we work.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Question to PC. How exactly do you think throwing a sickie makes any difference whatsoever, bar make you look unprofessional.

Its a permie term related to the fact they have a number of days they can be off and get paid. We turn up and get paid, we dont and we dont get paid.

How does it make a difference to us?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 18 November 2016, 12:03.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X