• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client changing contractors to FTC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client changing contractors to FTC

My client are now starting to switch their contractors to FTC.
    I heard a rumour about this possibility 3 months ago. Today I got confirmation of a PM being offered FTC only at renewal.
    Apparently this will be direct. So I guess the agency will require a bung.
    I don't know if the rate is going to be competitive, but I doubt it.

Makes no odds to me as I'm done in a few weeks and I'll not be taking a renewal. So pretty good timing for me.

What I don't get is what businesses think they'll gain.
    I assume that it'll be PAYE and therefore sick/holiday pay on tops of employer NICs. So they're going to have to pay less to the contractor to make it cost neutral (or less).

Do they think the market is so bad that people will accept this? Or has some berk in HR come up with a cunning plan? Or are the deluded enough to think that an FTC offers some form of job security?
    See You Next Tuesday

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    My client are now starting to switch their contractors to FTC.
    I heard a rumour about this possibility 3 months ago. Today I got confirmation of a PM being offered FTC only at renewal.
    Apparently this will be direct. So I guess the agency will require a bung.
    Don't see why they should. The contract role has evaporated so the agent will no longer have a hand in it. It's not like the client is deciding to swap so has to buy the agent out. The need for a contractor is no longer there so the agent is done. It would be pretty outrageous for the agent to demand a buy out for nothing more than claiming dibs on the guy. No one wins but the agent in a case like that and I'd like to think the Govt has enough clout to tell them to piss off.

I don't know if the rate is going to be competitive, but I doubt it.
    Indeed

Makes no odds to me as I'm done in a few weeks and I'll not be taking a renewal. So pretty good timing for me.

Do they think the market is so bad that people will accept this? Or has some berk in HR come up with a cunning plan? Or are the deluded enough to think that an FTC offers some form of job security?
    The govt agencies aren't pleased about this either but they have no choice. I am sure there will be a couple of cases where it just suits peoples situations and as much as they will grumble they will take it, even if it's just to stay off the bench while the rush dies down but it will be no where near the numbers required to keep things running as they are.

Will be interesting for you to watch this one pan out as your exit looms.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

To be clear. This is not a government or PS body.

This is pensions and protections.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Don't see why they should. The contract role has evaporated so the agent will no longer have a hand in it. It's not like the client is deciding to swap so has to buy the agent out. The need for a contractor is no longer there so the agent is done. It would be pretty outrageous for the agent to demand a buy out for nothing more than claiming dibs on the guy. No one wins but the agent in a case like that and I'd like to think the Govt has enough clout to tell them to piss off.
        What's it got to do with the government, or are you making wild assumptions yet again?

Without knowing what the contract between client and agency about the supply of labour states, it's a huge leap to say that they won't need to pay anything to extricate themselves from the relationship.

Comment

FTCs don't normally provide benefits AFAIK. It's just a straight salary.

So all of the cr@p and none of the reward.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
            What's it got to do with the government, or are you making wild assumptions yet again?
            Bearing in mind the amount of focus on Govt depts with the MoD already moving over it's hardly a wild assumption is it. You ought to be asking the OP to put a few more facts in his posts. Someone was going to have to make an assumption based on his post. :eye:

Also bearing in mind the lack of detail most people put in to posts most of what we does have an element of assumption to it.. Yet again? LOL what a nob.

Without knowing what the contract between client and agency about the supply of labour states, it's a huge leap to say that they won't need to pay anything to extricate themselves from the relationship.
            Now that the OP has actually revealed a bit of fairly important information then yes. My comment may not be quite so solid.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 8 November 2016, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Now that the OP has actually revealed a bit of fairly important information then yes. My comment may not be quite so solid.
              My apologies. It slipped my mind as I'm not obsessed with PS having not done any since 2005.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

As for agency bung. If the client is turning all their contractors to FTC then I can't see how they could avoid an agreement with the agency. Particularly as the agent would continue to get money (fixed pricing) for any contractor that stays on.

But I don't know.

I'll keep my ear to the ground and report back.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Depends on the company.

I remember one of my mates on a FTC years ago got loads of redundancy pay when the company had to sack a load of people.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

You sure about that?

https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contra...ployees-rights

Employers must also ensure that fixed-term employees get:
                    the same pay and conditions as permanent staff
                    the same or equivalent benefits package
                    information about permanent vacancies in the organisation
                    protection against redundancy or dismissal

Certainly aren't the same but it's not none.

Comment

Working...
                    X