• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PM Agile/SCRUM training and certification

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM Agile/SCRUM training and certification

Hola,

Having a few months off and thought it may be an idea to add some formal training/certification to the CV having worked in a supposed 'Agile environment' for the past year or so (it definitely wasn't ).

Interested in others thoughts as to what certification is most practical and marketable from a PM perspective as there does seem to be a wide range of options.

Initially looking at the APMG AgilePM certification and then spotted the Prince2 Agile option as well (I already have P2 Practitioner )

Then there's also various SCRUM certification available from scrum.org and others. PSM looks doable as home learning test at $150 for the PSM1 assessment.

Current thinking is I may jump on a AgilePM 4 day course with exam/certification and then follow on with SCRUM PSM1 under my own steam. So interested in others experiences and thoughts and some validation for my thinking?

Thanks in advance

I have always found PMs who try to be Scrum Masters tend to just be a PM in disguise, so I wouldn't recommend doing the PSM.

I recommend PMI-ACP for PMs.

Comment

Agile project management without experience - good luck with that.

Those I know who care about Agile seem to focus on the Scrum Alliance certificates - all of which expect experience as much as paper learning.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
        I have always found PMs who try to be Scrum Masters tend to just be a PM in disguise, so I wouldn't recommend doing the PSM.

I recommend PMI-ACP for PMs.
        Agree that there is a distinction between Scrum Master and PM - worth reading the guide on scrum.org, IIRC they think PM is not a role in scrum, so potentially conflicting with the notion that an 'Agile PM' course even exists. Would recommend having a think about whether you want to be a PM or a Scrum Master before deciding.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Those I know who care about Agile seem to focus on the Scrum Alliance certificates - all of which expect experience as much as paper learning.
          The basic qualifications have a bad name in the business. Years ago it was a 2 day course with no exam at the end. I know so many people who have this but haven't got a clue. In that sense PSM is a better qualification but less known.

The more advanced Scrum Alliance courses are harder to get but are essentially designed to get more money out you.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
            The basic qualifications have a bad name in the business. Years ago it was a 2 day course with no exam at the end. I know so many people who have this but haven't got a clue. In that sense PSM is a better qualification but less known.

The more advanced Scrum Alliance courses are harder to get but are essentially designed to get more money out you.
            True but the people I trust to know and understand agile are all either Scrum Certified Professionals or aiming to get that qualification so it definitely has some momentum behind it.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It's easily done.

Comment

Working...
              X