• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More than one gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More than one gig

I read somewhere that it is actually fairly rare for a contractor to have more than one client on the go at a time, despite how good this might be from an IR35 perspective.

I've been giving this some thought myself recently, not from an IR35 perspective but because I fancy I take can a bit extra on. Big brained, that sort of thing.
    But seriously, I'd appreciate experiences on this. I would like to find a way to expand. But I don't want to bite off more etc etc.

And if there's a previous thread in place for this, I can only say I'm sorry.

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    I read somewhere that it is actually fairly rare for a contractor to have more than one client on the go at a time, despite how good this might be from an IR35 perspective.

I've been giving this some thought myself recently, not from an IR35 perspective but because I fancy I take can a bit extra on. Big brained, that sort of thing.
    But seriously, I'd appreciate experiences on this. I would like to find a way to expand. But I don't want to bite off more etc etc.

Nothing to stop you doing it. None of the IR35 friendly contracts will have you exclusively.
    The question is can you get 2 contracts that want you part time? Or are you going to double-bubble it and try and do 2 in parallel?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It was good to have two clients for the old process with the questions but not really now. Each contract is still subject to IR35. One could be in, the other out etc

You are a business selling your skills so your first job is to work out is what you can sell and hoew can you fit it around a full time gig. Once you know this then you can work out if it's feasible to clients and if it is you work on how you can sell it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        It was good to have two clients for the old process with the questions but not really now. Each contract is still subject to IR35. One could be in, the other out etc

You are a business selling your skills so your first job is to work out is what you can sell and hoew can you fit it around a full time gig. Once you know this then you can work out if it's feasible to clients and if it is you work on how you can sell it.
        Depending how you structure it, it can be useful for demonstrating lack of MOO.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Nothing to stop you doing it. None of the IR35 friendly contracts will have you exclusively.
          The question is can you get 2 contracts that want you part time? Or are you going to double-bubble it and try and do 2 in parallel?
          My experience was that I had done some ad-hoc work for a company on and off. I had a full time contract. It looked like the work from my other client was going to pick up.

When it came to renewal time, I negotiated a four day a week - which we agreed would translate to 200 days over a year. So I had roughly a day a week to work on other stuff, but flexibility on both sides to fit in the days as and when needed. I could do 5 days for clientA some weeks, and three others for example. It's worked well for me so far - the other work tends to come in fits and starts.

Edit: Where it might start to get tricky is when my main contract ends - finding something else to fit round the other work will be a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Depending how you structure it, it can be useful for demonstrating lack of MOO.
            Could you elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post

I typically have 2-4 concurrent clients. It becomes trickier when you're managing more than one T&M contract, so I generally prefer FFP contracts (or, rather, only one T&M at any given time), although this is not always possible. One way to increase the chances of an FFP contract is to have a T&M task order to scope the work carefully, and then arrange a FFP for the rest.

The reality is that, unless you're willing to expand by subbing work, you probably will bite off too much, so there's always a risk of irritating one or more clients (again, especially if it's T&M). It's mainly common sense though; there's little w/r to managing clients that you couldn't work out yourself.

There are various threads that you can search for. Also, it makes little difference to your IR35 status, insofar as the main factors are contract-specific and, in any case, that would be a bad reason to take on additional clients

Comment

Oh, and I also don't see this working too smoothly if you're onsite much, except in the circumstances that mudskipper mentions where you can partition entire days/weeks. I WFH, 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Could you elaborate?
                  In my example above, I'm clearly not available for ClientA when I'm working for ClientB. So I don't, for example, always have Wednesdays off from ClientA - it varies according to need. I book a day or two days at ClientB, and I'm not available for ClientA even if something comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    In my example above, I'm clearly not available for ClientA when I'm working for ClientB. So I don't, for example, always have Wednesdays off from ClientA - it varies according to need. I book a day or two days at ClientB, and I'm not available for ClientA even if something comes up.
                    But that's not MoO is it? It is a clear lack of D&C but are still obliged to deliver what was agreed and not obliged to take other work on they offer. Same as any other gig? Am I missing something here?

Comment

Working...
                    X