• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More than one gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has been discussed before I think:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...agreement.html

Comment

I've done a fair bit of "ad-hoc" consultancy. I don't work for more than one person at once (i.e., subbing etc) but I just schedule them around each other. In my case they all know the drill - if there's no PO, they don't get booked

Pros:
      • IMHO, it's much more fun day to day
      • More "consultancy" like than "contractor" and that rubs off in the way you're treated by clients and permies
      • Far less of a tendency to get involved in random other stuff (Great for IR35), and it's easier to say no
      • Can generally demand a higher daily rate
      • More time off / at home

Cons:
      • In my experience, less money overall because nothing ever juggles perfectly. A 6 month contract will probably be 6 months solid at your day rate, whereas this won't be
      • Agents do NOT understand this model at all. I'm not kidding when I say this - expect pain later on
      • As above, it's hard to find this work through agencies. You need contacts
      • Less consistency - it's always the London bus effect

While I'm sure there'll be some debate about the specifics of IR35 (And yes, it's on a per contract basis), IMHO the reality is that you'd have to work really really hard to operate with multiple clients and remain within IR35

Overall, I enjoy working like this but I wouldn't necessarily say I prefer it. There's a lot to be said for an easy, well paying Mon - Fri gig.
      Last edited by vwdan; 3 November 2016, 15:40.

Comment

Working...
      X