• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1st Time Contracting Overseas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Time Contracting Overseas

Hi,

I usually contract in the UK at £450 a day via LTD company. I have been offered a contract in Vienna Austria. I have to maintain my home in the UK - partner and children, I will be coming back to the UK every fortnight. I intend to maintain a pied-a-terre basic, clean, safe studio flat with reasonable public transport links to Vienna's financial district. How much extra should one factor into the rate for expenses? Is there a rough rule of thumb that can be applied I assume I will go through an umbrella company?

Thanks
    Gill

Originally posted by BusyBusy View Post
    Hi,

I usually contract in the UK at £450 a day via LTD company. I have been offered a contract in Vienna Austria. I have to maintain my home in the UK - partner and children, I will be coming back to the UK every fortnight. I intend to maintain a pied-a-terre basic, clean, safe studio flat with reasonable public transport links to Vienna's financial district. How much extra should one factor into the rate for expenses? Is there a rough rule of thumb that can be applied I assume I will go through an umbrella company?

Thanks
    Gill
    Check out what your tax situation will be there. You might be able to opt for a freelancer/self-employed status. Using an umbrella may be more expensive. Not sure about Austria but if you have proof you maintain a home in the UK, you may be able to offset expenses against tax. Try internations.org for some local contacts, tips on housing or sties like expatica.

Comment

The amount to factor in depends on your costs.
      Vienna isn't a big city, you can walk from the financial area (south east) to the Stephensplatz (centre) in under 10 minutes.
      So if you get somewhere central to stay, you don't need to worry about public transport.

The CAT is the best way to get to the airport and that brings you in to Landstrasse. If I were looking for somewhere to stay, I'd go out near the Gasometer (on the U3). Last time I worked there we were on the U2 towards the Stadium (you'll find cheaper places there).

For the first few weeks stay in a hotel (good luck finding a nice one that's cheap!) until you get your bearings.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BusyBusy View Post
        Hi,

Thanks
        Gill
        You'll be tax resident in Austria and UK, no escaping that. If you use your Ltd, that will suffer the same way.

I'd go with an extra £100/150 a day to cover renting costs (remember the tenant pays the letting agent in most European States, plus 3 months up front).

Might be better to share a place, it's what I do here, off the top of my head I reckon it costs me about £2k a month extra, mainly for my room in flat on the harbour. it's 10 mins bus to city centre (or 30 mins on the Harbour bus which is a boat obvs).

Comment

I have never rented when working abroad. It might be cheaper to rent but if the client cancels the contract then how will you get out of a 6 months rent agreement.

Comment

Minimum €600 a day.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hi
              Are any of you still in Vienna ? I added a new thread abut my upcoming Contract, any advice ?
              Thanks
              Andy

Comment

Working...
              X