• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a Foot in the Door

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a Foot in the Door

Since graduating university- a good few years ago now, I've not had any luck getting into fields of interest.
    Upon graduating I managed to land a few accounts admin and credit control type of roles but as accounting doesn't interest me, I did not pursue an ACCA/CIMA qualification.

I've always been interested in banking type of roles and was advised to get PRINCE II qualified as it would help me get into project management. About 5 years ago I forked out around £600 for a PRINCE II Practitioner course hoping this would help me enter this field. Unfortunately it didn't help and I found recruiters/companies were looking for experience above anything else even for the most junior project support roles.

My job frustrations continued and I landed a new accounts/credit control job based on my previous experience.I was advised that a BA course would help me land a BA role and I figured being BA trained as well as PRINCE II trained would could only strengthen any application so I forked out more money for BA training. Once again I had no luck getting any opportunities due to lack of 'experience'.

Two years ago I found myself unemployed for six months. I applied for a contract PPI banking complaints role as the pay was okay when working via a limited company. I managed to get the job and worked in PPI complaints through my limited company until 3 months ago when my contract ended. It seems that these banking complaint contracts are fast drying up now and I've not been able to land another one in 3 months. I hoped that my contracting experience would enable me to move into a compliance role in banking but so far I've had no luck.

I'm beyond frustrated and don't know what to do now. I've been applying for both permanent and contract roles but so far have had no interviews. I feel extremely unfortunate given that I'm based in London where most of the jobs are. I'm considering winding up my limited company now as I've not had any income for the last 3 months yet I'm still paying my accountant a monthly fee.

Has anyone been in a similar predicament? Any advise? Thanks.

Not snowballs chance in hell you can go contracting with that history. You've nothing to sell, no experience, no skills, nothing. The certs might help but only when it's backed up with relevant experience.

Forget contracting and apply for grad schemes or junior PM/BA (depending on what you want). Build a career with plenty of experience and skills and then you might have a chance to contract if it hasn't died by then.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 20 October 2016, 19:08.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Not snowballs chance in hell you can go contracting with that history. You've nothing to sell, no experience, no skills, nothing. The certs might help but only when it's backed up with relevant experience.

Forget contracting and apply for grad schemes or junior PM/BA (depending on what you want). Build a career with plenty of experience and skills and then you might have a chance to contract if it hasn't died by then.

Thanks for your honest evaluation. However, what can I do when even junior PM/BA roles require experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Skyhigh View Post
        Thanks for your honest evaluation. However, what can I do when even junior PM/BA roles require experience?
        Have to just have to keep looking. Company's will be able to view you as an asset and grow you to mold what they want. Although many will want experienced guys to fit a need others may also take on juniors and set them in a career path. Some kind of grad scheme, apprenticeship, fast track career or something like that. The pay will reflect this unfortunately but you've got to start somewhere. If you are any good and have a hunger you should be able to rise pretty quickly. The fact you've paid for your own certs will work in your favour.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Since graduating university- a good few years ago now, I've not had any luck getting into fields of interest.
          Upon graduating I managed to land a few accounts admin and credit control type of roles but as accounting doesn't interest me, I did not pursue an ACCA/CIMA qualification.

I've always been interested in banking type of roles and was advised to get PRINCE II qualified as it would help me get into project management. About 5 years ago I forked out around £600 for a PRINCE II Practitioner course hoping this would help me enter this field. Unfortunately it didn't help and I found recruiters/companies were looking for experience above anything else even for the most junior project support roles.

My job frustrations continued and I landed a new accounts/credit control job based on my previous experience.I was advised that a BA course would help me land a BA role and I figured being BA trained as well as PRINCE II trained would could only strengthen any application so I forked out more money for BA training. Once again I had no luck getting any opportunities due to lack of 'experience'.

Two years ago I found myself unemployed for six months. I applied for a contract PPI banking complaints role as the pay was okay when working via a limited company. I managed to get the job and worked in PPI complaints through my limited company until 3 months ago when my contract ended. It seems that these banking complaint contracts are fast drying up now and I've not been able to land another one in 3 months. I hoped that my contracting experience would enable me to move into a compliance role in banking but so far I've had no luck.

I'm beyond frustrated and don't know what to do now. I've been applying for both permanent and contract roles but so far have had no interviews. I feel extremely unfortunate given that I'm based in London where most of the jobs are. I'm considering winding up my limited company now as I've not had any income for the last 3 months yet I'm still paying my accountant a monthly fee.

Has anyone been in a similar predicament? Any advise? Thanks.
          You're in the wrong place buddy.

Prince2 is a joke. No company actually uses it and anyone with half a brain cell can pass. It certainly won't land you with a job, let alone a contract.

What exactly is PPI complaints? Were you that guy that trying to convince me I'm entitled to a payout?

It seems like you're trying to run before you've even stood up. Go get a position with a large company that will hold your hand and develop you. Eventually after years of hard work, if you're very lucky you will gain some skills that the world actually needs and only then try getting into the contracting market.

If you manage to get there, you will be competing against peers with 10 years more of relevant experience in an area you know nothing about. Good luck.
          Last edited by blackeye; 20 October 2016, 21:02.

Comment

The most sensible advice I could give you is be grateful if you can get any sort of accounting admin job. Forget banking you have nothing to offer. Try 10-15 years in perm roles before trying to be a contractor again as it sounds like you have been a zero hours contract admin worker using a ltd company for your payroll. Recruiters are astute enough to see through this straight away!! Most prospective employers would be concerned about you getting a university education then not backing that up with a decent perm career.

Comment

You are applying to the wrong companies and since you aren't a new graduate you are going to have to do the leg work yourself rather than relying on agencies. Agents tend to only put people in the same role as they had before.

There are a lot of SMEs out there who you probably could convince to give you a role to start off with. However it is up to you to find them by seeking them out and networking. Then once you have some experience you can apply directly to large companies and they will be interested in you, and suddenly with more experience agents will be as well.

Also be prepared to move to a different part of the country. I know people in loads of different areas who have had to work outside London to start their career.

Oh and don't pay for any more courses until you have some experience in the role as you are throwing your money away.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                What exactly is PPI complaints? Were you that guy that trying to convince me I'm entitled to a payout?
                It's the people who do the admin for the PPI misselling claims e.g. work out how much they need to pay back people who have complained.

I knew people who did similar years ago with the pensions fiasco. They however were permanent so were made redundant when not needed. Some had done financial qualifications while doing the role so took other roles in the finance, others went back to do another degree to change direction, and others just took any job.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It's not looking good. I would look at getting a perm job with a startup (10-20 people, second round of funding). If you desperately want to end up in banking, try a fintech startup.
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Currently you're at a stage in your career where you need to catch a break. In your shoes I'd be very actively looking for those breaks (might take months, maybe years, maybe days) and focus on being super impressive when the inevitable opportunity comes up. I'd get as many certificates as possible (600 quid isn't a lot in the schemes of things), extra study (open university, edx, coursera), go to networking events (meetup.com stuff), try and get speaking slots at those events (pretty easy to do) and maybe look at inventing your own business opportunities in your chosen niche (offer services direct to small business, write articles).

I've had two 'oh dear, I'm going to need a break here' moments in my career and they both worked out great.

Last one went like this :
                    12 months off - twelve months unable to work due to visa, so holiday/travel/side business/learning/worrying
                    4 months - depressing, hard, humbling job search in new area
                    6 months contract - depressing entry level contract in new area on depressing money
                    18 months contract - team lead project role in new area on mediocre money
                    18 months perm - high paying role in new area
                    ... as of Dec 1st this year. Permie promotion. Part of leadership team on very good money

At every step had no idea what would come next, just hope, but kept working hard doing the right things. With hindsight it looks like stepping stones. Such a natural progression.

Very happy at the moment but I'd walk away tomorrow and do it all again in a new area and be confident I'd climb to the top. I'm sure I'll have to do that a few more times before I die - and I look forward to it.

So heads up, focus on using your 24 hours in the day better than every other competitor for roles out there, and be ready for the break when it comes.
                    Last edited by DieScum; 21 October 2016, 07:26.

Comment

Working...
                    X