• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving business out of the country

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    Nobody knows and nothing is certain, .
    That affects all of us not just Jonny Foreigner
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You don't need the PR document for anything else than the full citizenship application. You are gaining the PR rights automatically and the paper bit is optional. By all means go for it, if that helps with the paranoia and insecurity.

Going back to your original question - Whatever the result of the "hard" brexit is, a scenario where you will be allowed to work with Ireland, HK, Swizz, etc. company in the UK, but not allowed to do so with an England&Wales company is highly unlikely to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        If you are planning to keep working in the UK, why not keep doing it with your existing UKco? If you are getting ready for a hypothetical situation where you will have the right to work in the UK but not the right to own/be a director of a UKco, why not incorporate in your home country, presumably you already have some knowledge of it's corporate legislation?

In any case even now it's next to impossible to get a contract in UK using non England&Wales ltd. going forward it will only go worse.
        You can get work with a Scottish or Northern Irish limited.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You can get work with a Scottish or Northern Irish limited.
          Remains to be seen if they stay in the UK or not

In any case in only about half of the contracts i have been asked to England&Wales co. specifically, the rests just asked for UK one, so I guess you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            You don't need the PR document for anything else than the full citizenship application. You are gaining the PR rights automatically and the paper bit is optional. By all means go for it, if that helps with the paranoia and insecurity.

Going back to your original question - Whatever the result of the "hard" brexit is, a scenario where you will be allowed to work with Ireland, HK, Swizz, etc. company in the UK, but not allowed to do so with an England&Wales company is highly unlikely to say the least.
            I cannot get it for another year, but will be applying for it just to make sure my clients don't see me as a potential liability.

You are right, I should've worded my question better. What I had in mind was a scenario where I contract in the UK through a company registered outside of UK so I don't have to close the company if I have to leave. Having read this thread again don't I think it is a good idea. I will stick with my UK Ltd for as long as it makes financial sense.

Thanks!
            You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

It might look like paranoia, but I have never been asked "when are you going back to your OWN country" before, but then the Conservative party conference happened and a lad from Kent felt obliged to pop that question in front of the whole team. I spend over 8 years in the UK in my lifetime, the last 4 as a full-time resident. I am a software developer and systems engineer and I certainly don't go for low rates. But if things go the way they are going, I may have to work with my UK clients from abroad. And a company incorporated outside of UK might be a solution to this problem.
              I wouldn't worry about that too much. I was born here and I still get asked that question!

Comment

I cannot get it for another year, but will be applying for it just to make sure my clients don't see me as a potential liability.

You are right, I should've worded my question better. What I had in mind was a scenario where I contract in the UK through a company registered outside of UK so I don't have to close the company if I have to leave. Having read this thread again don't I think it is a good idea. I will stick with my UK Ltd for as long as it makes financial sense.

Thanks!
                As long as you actually working in the UK then you must work through a company that has a branch registered in the UK. What you suggest isn't and won't be legal.

Currently under EU law you can operate through a company registered in another EU country but you also need to register the company in the UK and you need to run a branch that is subject to UK law, i.e. there is no advantage and you may as well set up a UK Ltd. All you'll do is run up much higher accountancy fees.

If you work for a client remotely then you can simply set up a company in the country you work in and then there is no need to register anything in the UK.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I hope you reported "the lad from Kent" for racist comments

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                    I hope you reported "the lad from Kent" for racist comments
                    I did have a chat with HR. The guy's been a prick to others as well, Brits and non-Brits, so I don't think he'll make it beyond his performance review. Anyway, I am moving on to another client so it's no longer my problem.
                    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Working...
                    X