• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

KPMG - Enforced Leave

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Just heard that they're enforcing leave over Xmas.

Last day Friday 16th December 2016, back Tuesday 3rd January 2017.

Affects both contractors and permies.
    Christmas present for the permies, they will be the next contractors in the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      Christmas present for the permies, they will be the next contractors in the market.
      Why?

It doesn't say that the permies aren't getting paid, so surely the thought of two weeks unpaid as a contractor would put them off?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Reasonably common in consultancies that they expect you to use your holiday when it suits the company and not necessarily yourself in order to minimise their bench costs - this applies to perm as well as contractors.

Also common for financials services to enforce breaks for contractors for up to 3 weeks. I have heard of "take December off and come back in January" before.

Comment

Originally posted by nozmeister View Post
          Reasonably common in consultancies that they expect you to use your holiday when it suits the company and not necessarily yourself in order to minimise their bench costs - this applies to perm as well as contractors.
          It's actually legal for all employers to make you take some of your leave when they like though they need to warn you before hand and put in in your T&Cs.

Some of my previous clients haven't been consultancies and they made permies have an enforced holiday between Christmas and New Year, which came out of their leave. Most companies find that nothing gets done between that time and so apart from the people who need to keep servers running, which most can do from home, everyone else may as well be on holiday.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Three week Christmas furlough at my place for contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Why?

It doesn't say that the permies aren't getting paid, so surely the thought of two weeks unpaid as a contractor would put them off?
              I miss understood the words enforced leave, I was thinking in other kind of “leave”.

Comment

Originally posted by nozmeister View Post

Also common for financials services to enforce breaks for contractors for up to 3 weeks. I have heard of "take December off and come back in January" before.
                It's true if there is no work to do in the office and it's not a good sign. I had to do proposals, RFIs, etc...

Christmas enforced leave is applied depending on the country and yes it's normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  It's true if there is no work to do in the office and it's not a good sign. I had to do proposals, RFIs, etc...
                  Not really. All large consultancies have a number of people on the bench at anyone time due to some work finishing and some starting.
                  Christmas enforced leave is applied depending on the country and yes it's normal.
                  Bit ambiguous this isn't it? Xmas leave isn't at a country level and what's normal? Some work, some don't. It also depends on where in the business you work. That statement as it stands means sod all.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It's actually legal for all employers to make you take some of your leave when they like though they need to warn you before hand and put in in your T&Cs.

Some of my previous clients haven't been consultancies and they made permies have an enforced holiday between Christmas and New Year, which came out of their leave. Most companies find that nothing gets done between that time and so apart from the people who need to keep servers running, which most can do from home, everyone else may as well be on holiday.
                    The consultancy I used to work for would find work for people to do if they said they were working between Christmas and New Year because they knew nothing would get done. My last permie place used to close between Christmas and New Year because the warehouse was closed and there was no point in being open selling stuff if they couldn't ship it anywhere (plus the chances of any of their clients wanting to buy from us in that period was negligible).

Comment

Given a lot of you are developers and companies tend to have code freezes over Christmas period its not surprising that they asked for those dates to be taken as holiday.

Comment

Working...
                      X