• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    Hhhmmm, well I suppose getting paid a day - if you are not doing anything better anyway - is not such a bad thing?

That said, I had an interesting experience with that Agent mentioned a few years back.....albeit quite unrelated!
    Awesome! I've always said that's what I would do if an agency ever tried to drop the rate on me after being offered a role. Glad it worked for you.

Comment

Goldman Sucks did 40 hour interviews starting in 2001. I was the 2nd person to go in. It worked out very well. I stayed there a year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Amazingly they are not run by GALs but are very efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Goldman Sucks did 40 hour interviews starting in 2001. I was the 2nd person to go in. It worked out very well. I stayed there a year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Amazingly they are not run by GALs but are very efficient.

So, it took 40 interviews, of one hour, before they took you on
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
          Hhhmmm, well I suppose getting paid a day - if you are not doing anything better anyway - is not such a bad thing?

That said, I had an interesting experience with that Agent mentioned a few years back.....albeit quite unrelated!
          If interviews go well, I might offer the interviewer the chance to contact me directly if the agent claims I'm messing around. Who knows what's going on. I wonder how many people have lost out when client managers have told them to get stuffed?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The agent is also requiring a face to face interview as it is their policy to conduct this type of interview before taking any contractor onto their books.

They provide exclusive service you see !

I'm tempted to ask "you for coffee?"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
              The agent is also requiring a face to face interview as it is their policy to conduct this type of interview before taking any contractor onto their books.

They provide exclusive service you see !

I'm tempted to ask "you for coffee?"
              Have they got a form for your details, with space for two references at the bottom?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Have they got a form for your details, with space for two references at the bottom?

You laugh......

I have actually seen something similar in real life
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

This isn't the first asking for face to face meetings.

I've had Computer Futures asking this too quite recently.

It is my opinion that it's a complete waste of time and energy; I may be wrong but I'm willing to take a chance on that one.

Life is too short.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                    If they are paying for it, what's the problem?
                    There is none provided they do pay him.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Back when I was a permie I had a "Technical test" sent to me to do over a weekend.

It contained a load of interface definitions, details for how to connect to their database populated with test data and some "Sample code" that they wanted features added to.

I didnt bother going any further with that because I strongly suspect the "Technical test" was actually them trying to get some work for free out of me.

I have a friend who does mobile development who was told his technical test would involve him being given access to their code base so that he could "Fix any bugs he spots" and his checkins would be audited....

However in this case, if they are willing to pay you and you have some spare time I'd do it, if a contract comes out of the back of it great, if not, you still get paid for a days work, another client on the CV.

Comment

Working...
                      X