• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone done any Jenkins?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    exactly what I did when I read that!

OP - tell me more, I need a good laugh! Why on earth were you using that?
    I was writing Java applets for websites at the time - animations, really.

Somebody thought that now Microsoft had jumped aboard the Java bandwagon they'd soon have the monopoly therefore the decision was taken.

Comment

Originally posted by The Only Way Is Keynsham View Post
      I was writing Java applets for websites at the time - animations, really.

Somebody thought that now Microsoft had jumped aboard the Java bandwagon they'd soon have the monopoly therefore the decision was taken.
      Should have aligned yourself with Apple...
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Jenkins/Team City/Octopus they're all things that anyone with any common sense can pick up in a few days and become proficient at.

Trouble is getting past the agents if it's not on your CV.
        Last edited by pauldee; 14 September 2016, 14:46.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
          Jenkins/Team City/Octopus they're all things that anyone with any common sense can pick up in a few days and become proficient at.

Trouble is getting part the agents if it's not on your CV.
          past?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            past?
            Whoops, yes. Now edited.

Comment

Used it predominantly to manage unit testing so far. Not too awful unlike some systems I've used, certainly not a waste of time.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Like everyone's said Jenkins is just a small cog, last role before this I was Environments Manager (stupid title) and did Jenkins, Maven, SonarQube, Cobbler, Puppet, RHEL Kickstarts, AIX NIM builds, DB2 installs, VMware ESX, storage, fibre, and all the networking and firewalling.

Can't think how Jenkins can be anything other than a tiny part of environments and builds.

And didn't it used to be called Hudson?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Like everyone's said Jenkins is just a small cog, last role before this I was Environments Manager (stupid title) and did Jenkins, Maven, SonarQube, Cobbler, Puppet, RHEL Kickstarts, AIX NIM builds, DB2 installs, VMware ESX, storage, fibre, and all the networking and firewalling.

Can't think how Jenkins can be anything other than a tiny part of environments and builds.

And didn't it used to be called Hudson?
                  Well, in my case it'll probably take up most of my time getting it set up before I get on with the regular dev work at which point I guess it'll just tick over with minimal input from myself.

They don't even do any unit testing so I guess I'll be configuring the Git plugin and whatever build engine they want to use. NAnt or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by The Only Way Is Keynsham View Post
                    Well, in my case it'll probably take up most of my time getting it set up before I get on with the regular dev work at which point I guess it'll just tick over with minimal input from myself.

They don't even do any unit testing so I guess I'll be configuring the Git plugin and whatever build engine they want to use. NAnt or whatever.
                    Think it was yum install jenkins -y on RHEL!!

Checked the gui worked and handed it over to the devs. No complaints but half the time they insist on stuff then never use it!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Think it was yum install jenkins -y on RHEL!!

Checked the gui worked and handed it over to the devs. No complaints but half the time they insist on stuff then never use it!
                      Lol! Yeah, been there myself

Comment

Working...
                      X